• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Sluggish after 1709 update - uninstalled Norton Security and issue is gone

Specs: Asus Laptop, i7, 8 GB RAM, Samsung EVO SSD, Windows 10 Home, Office Pro 2010, Norton Security v22.11.2.7

I had no issues with Norton Security installed with Win 10 1703.  Each time I was auto upgraded to 1709, my performance suffered so I would revert back to 1703 and the issue would go away.  Today, I attempted to spend some time troubleshooting to root cause and the cause was Norton Security, even with the latest 22.11..2.7 update applied.   I tested uninstalling Norton Security before the upgrade to 1709 as well as leaving it on in 1703 and then performing the upgrade to 1709.  When Norton Security was running in 1709, Word and Outlook were slow to open.  Where Word took less than 1 sec. to pop open in 1703, it would take 3+ sec. in 1709.  Outlook used to open in less than 2 sec. in 1703, and it takes 4-5 sec. in 1709.  As I navigate around my laptop, I could easily sense that the laptop was not operating as well as when running 1703.

I determined that if I uninstalled Norton Security in 1709, my performance came back to where I was in 1703.  During my testing where I uninstalled Norton Security while in 1703, then upgraded to 1709, before re-installing Norton Security, I had no issues with Word or Outlook.  After re-installing Norton , the performance was immediately degraded again.  I applied the 22.11.2.7 update and the performance was still sluggish.  I don't know how much worse it could have been if I was on a spinning drive vs. a SSD.

Note: while Norton Security was installed in 1709, I even attempted to temporarily turn off real-time protection as well as the Firewall and test.  The sluggishness still existed.  Sluggishness only went away after I uninstalled Norton Security.

I feel like my testing clearly demonstrated that Norton Security was the cause of my sluggishness with Win 10 1709, whereas I did not have the issue when I was running Norton Security with Win 10 1703.

Anyone with the same issue? 

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Sluggish after 1709 update - uninstalled Norton Security and issue is gone

Theres something up with 1709, froze my system up, finally after 5 hard starts was able to get to back track to restore my system before 1709 install and everything seems ok..

Kudos0

I was hoping an Expert or Symantec employee would have responded.  I have been using Norton since 2009 and, yes, there have certainly been issues from time to time and I've either waited patiently for a patch and monitored the forum or communicated my issues through the forum as I am doing now.  I am an IT professional and while I certainly admit to not knowing it all, I really believe I spent the quality time to troubleshoot to root cause and that uninstalling Norton Security on my Windows 10, version 1709, laptop definitely resolved my sluggishness issue as described in my original post.  For almost a few months now, I really had believed that the 1709 update was at fault and there were certainly known issues when it first came out.  Being on Win 10 Home, I had no choice but to let the computer install the updates as frustrating as it was.   After each upgrade, the sluggishness always returned and I had no choice, for productivity reasons, but to restore back to 1703 where I had no issues.  I researched my issue on Microsoft forums and many other sites and could not find my specific issue until my recent attempt to troubleshoot to root cause on my own.

I am at a point now where I am ready to give up on Norton and seek a refund and simply move on to other protection options.  I don't believe spending a lengthy time on a chat or call with a Norton technician is worth my time as I've run the R&R and tested many different options for installing 1709, all of them leading to the fact that without Norton Security running on my laptop, my performance is excellent.  And as stated in my post, I did not have this issue with Norton Security running in 1703.  How do I seek a refund?

Thanks.

Kudos0

Kaz: How do I seek a refund?

Norton products (including subscriptions and Automatic Renewals) may be refunded within 60 days of the purchase date.

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/kb20100512172507

What is the Norton cancellation and return policy
https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/kb20100113164023

Kudos0

@bjm_, thanks for the feedback on the return policy.  Care to comment whether I am alone on my issue or is a known issue now with the 1709 upgrade+Norton Security combo?  Not ruling out an issue brought on by MS with 1709, but would hope Symantec would be in contact with MS to determine who needs to provide a fix, Norton or MS.  The Norton 22.11.2.7 update was not the solution for my situation.

Kudos0

Kaz: @bjm_, thanks for the feedback on the return policy.  Care to comment whether I am alone on my issue or is a known issue now with the 1709 upgrade+Norton Security combo? 

I'm not privy to whether your issue is a known issue nor whether you're alone. 

I'm on 1607. 1709 user will likely chime in.  

I'm neither expert or Symantec employee.

Kudos0

This is another example of why I have started delaying the latest and greatest Windows version upgrades. I'm getting too old to have to fight with MS to get it to work with my other software. I let others find and fix the problems.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

I have this issue with Word on 1709 (fine on 1703) but whether it is caused by NIS or the Fall Update I wouldn't know. Not a deal breaker for me, more an annoyance.    

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.