• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Something Strange in my Program exclusions NSS 22.6.0.142

While Answering a Question on Malwarebytes Exclusions to add to Norton Security Suite I reviewed my Program Exclusions. I found something odd. There are Three Exclusions that I do not remember adding one is a Windows Explorer file and two are Norton files/programs. 1) Symantec Service Framework 2) Symatec Error Reporting

Why on earth a Norton Product would ever need Norton Exclusions added is beyond my ability to understand. Frankly I believe I could remove all three items with no ill effects. See the three Red arrows in the image below? Ever seen anything like this? Any advice for me?

Replies

Accepted Solution
Kudos1 Stats

Re: Something Strange in my Program exclusions NSS 22.6.0.142

FWIW ~ my Norton reports similar

By default, the Norton product includes Symantec Service Framework and Windows Explorer programs in the list.

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/norton-security-with-backup/22.6.0.142/solutions/v36687854_

maybe DOCID: v36687854, Last modified: 09/15/2015 needs update...?

Kudos1 Stats

and FWIW ~ I have MalwarebytesAM Free with Exclude from Auto-Protecthttps://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/norton-security-with-backup/22.6.0.142/solutions/v15457075_

does Norton..., performance alert MalwarebytesAM..?

Kudos0

Yes there is one small alert I am trying to figure out. MBAM does something about every hour that NSS blocks. I might need to ask about this on the MBAM forum. I have MBAM set to check for updates once per day so that is not it. Below find more info (image) and the missing part of my Program Exclusions (the other part is in my first post).

Here is a link to the MBAM question I answered. (additional info)                                                                                            https://community.norton.com/en/comment/6960451#comment-6960451

Kudos1 Stats

try add MalwarebytesAM to Exclude from Auto-Protect....will stop NPTP logging MBAM activity.
You've added MalwarebytesAM to performance alert exclusion.
You're seeing Norton Product Tamper Protection event and may be ignored.

Norton Product Tamper Protection protects your Norton product from an attack or modification by unknown, suspicious, or threatening applications.

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/norton-security-with-backup/22.6.0.142/solutions/v15462176_

Kudos0

Should I add just the ...\MBAMSERVICE.EXE FILE or the whole MBAM FOLDER?

Kudos1 Stats

FWIW ~ users just ignore Norton Product Tamper Protection events.
Some users add exclusions to Norton and MBAM as per MBAM.
Some Norton + MBAM users say not necessary as I recall. 

FWIW ~ I add MBAM Free folder to Exclude from Auto-Protect.  
If your only concern is NPTP event ....then just ignore.
Lets hear from MBAM Premium user.....

Kudos0

I do have Norton Premium (Pro).

Kudos0

I have MBAM Premium (Pro) if you read at the bottom of my comment from link above you would have seen it. There is also info on Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware Beta. A new MBAM product free while in Beta and when perfected will be part of MBAM Premium. I saw on the news today that Adobe released an emergency Flash Player Update because it was being used to insert Ransomware.  SO UPDATE YOUR FLASH PLAYER, I did.

Kudos1 Stats

Okay, you're experienced Norton + MBAM Premium user.
If your only concern is NPTP event ....then just ignore.
Security History pic here Permalink is Norton Product Tamper Protection event not Performance event.   You've added MBAM to program exclusions re performance alerts Permalink.

FWIW ~ MalwarebytesAM Free folder to Exclude from Auto-Protect....stops NPTP logging MBAM activity on my machine.  Sorry, I missed "(additional info)" ....your Edit. 

Kudos1 Stats

I saw on the news today that Adobe released an emergency Flash Player Update because it was being used to insert Ransomware.  SO UPDATE YOUR FLASH PLAYER, I did.

https://community.norton.com/en/comment/6960651#comment-6960651 

Windows 7 HP SP1 32-bit | Chrome 65.0.3325.146 | NS 22.12.1.15
Kudos0

No, my edit was to make a few words BOLD. I guess I need to be more careful about having information at the bottom of my posts. I can understand why it is easy to miss.

I added ...\MBAMSERVICE.EXE to NSS Real Time Exclusions "Exclude from Auto-Protect" I just want to check history later and hopefully the MBAM Service Alert will stop. I understand it is not a problem and can be ignored. I just want to see if this stops the item.

THANKS AGAIN FOR ANSWERING MY FIRST QUESTION.

Kudos0

next_in_line:  No, my edit was to make a few words BOLD. I guess I need to be more careful about having information at the bottom of my posts. I can understand why it is easy to miss.

Sorry, for what ever I missed.  I have habit of Save (proof read) n' Edit n' Save.    Thanks 

Kudos0

No problem I was referring to my comment on that other post at this link. Really all you missed was that I have MBAM Pro. That is really a small item and I did not mean to make some kind of big deal about it. My bad I am sorry.

Here is a link to that comment for any new reader of this thread.

https://community.norton.com/en/comment/6960451#comment-6960451

Kudos0

no worries
I've Exclude from Auto-Protect 'folders' for my security toys.
Cheers

Kudos0

Program Exclusion is part of Performance Monitoring, a Norton feature that alerts you when an application uses system resources, such as CPU or RAM, above a set threshold level.  It has no security implications at all.  Norton Product Tamper Protection blocks other programs from accessing Norton files and processes, but does not otherwise impede the other program from functioning fully.  Again, no direct security implications for your system.  The Norton default entries in Programs Exclusions, I assume, are simply there to avoid alerts that might cause some inexperienced users to panic and turn off all, or some part, of their Norton protection simply because Norton might be temporarily using more system resources than normal.  And of course, you would not want anyone disabling Windows Explorer, which can also sometimes use excess resources.  There is no need to add MBAM to Program Exclusions for Performance Monitoring, unless you are getting annoying alerts frequently.  Norton only alerts that a program is using extra resources, it does not take any action.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.