• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Unable to update Norton 360 toolbar

Recently updated to firefox 13 and got message that norton toolbar is incompatible.After checking forums,tried live update to fix. I have 360 v. 6.2.1.5 I have checked addons and extensions in ie9 and chrome as well. All show toolbar v. 5.4.6. How do i upgrade?

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Unable to update Norton 360 toolbar

Recently updated to firefox 13 and got message that norton toolbar is incompatible.After checking forums,tried live update to fix. I have 360 v. 6.2.1.5 I have checked addons and extensions in ie9 and chrome as well. All show toolbar v. 5.4.6. How do i upgrade?

Kudos0

58594 wrote:

Hi,

Run live update one more time to be sure that all of the updates have been downloaded and installed. If you still can't see the correct versions of the Norton add-ons the ndo a control panel uninstall, reboot  and reinstall FF13.

Hope this helps

Dick Win 10x64 current current NSBU
Kudos0

Ran live update again,does not help. Difficult to see how uninstalling and reinstalling firefox would help since i have v.5.4.6 of the toolbar in ie9 and chrome as well. Surely its not necesary to reinstall all 3 browsers?

Kudos0

Hi 58594,

Humor me, please run LiveUpdate (rebooting as requested) until such time as LiveUpdate responds "No Updates Found" - this will signify you are totally up to date.  At that point reboot one more time and see if NTB 2012.7.3.1 is present in the FF Add-ons and Enabled.

Please remember that IE9 is a different browser that uses a different version of the NTB.  It is posible to have the latest version in IE9 - but FF13 does in fact require an updated version of NTB.

Please check your FF add-ons and let us know what you NTB version number is.

Kudos0

updated as you  suggested,changes nothing.My ntb version is 5.4.6 and is disabled.

Kudos0

Have unistalled ff13 and reinstalled.  Norton toolbar still disabled. Gone into addons  and extensions, ff searched for updated version , could not find.How is anyone else running ff13 with ntb?

Kudos0

58594 wrote:

Have unistalled ff13 and reinstalled.  Norton toolbar still disabled. Gone into addons  and extensions, ff searched for updated version , could not find.How is anyone else running ff13 with ntb?

Hi,

Not sure what to suggest next. I hav FF13.0.1 up on the other screen and the Norton toolbar across the top.

Dick Win 10x64 current current NSBU
Kudos0

58594 wrote:

updated as you  suggested,changes nothing.My ntb version is 5.4.6 and is disabled.

HI 58594,

You got my curiosity up now.  Version 5.4.6 is not a version of the NTB for N360 V 6.2.1.5.   NTB in IE is 2012.5.4.6 and the NTB in FF 13 is 2012.7.3.1.  All NTB version numbers for the 2012 products (N 360 V6/NIS 2012) start with a 2012. You stated your FF shows Disabled.  I have seen it happen before where someone got confused over the way the Extentions in FF are labeled.  Below is a screenshot of my FF 13 Extrentions:

You will notice, that I have circled Disable - what that means is that my NTB is in fact enabled and clicking on that button will disable it.  So if yours is disabled it will actually have an Enable button to clickon in order to turn it on.  Plese let us know what yours really says.

There is a procedure that I have successfully used in the past to bring everything into line when problems are encountered updating toolbars and FF.  It is posted below.

This is a situation I have come across before in NIS, N360 and NSS with previous FF upgrades.   Following the exact procedure that follows has produced the desired results of the NTB appearing in FF.  Do not add any addtional steps such as running the Norton Removal Tool, as that will cause you to lose your ID Safe, customised ssettings and will also remove any other Norton programs you may happen to have installed.

Please do the following in the order I list:

Totally uninstall Firefox

Download a fresh copy of Firefox 13. from here: http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/new/

Install the fresh copy of firefox.

Download a fresh copy of Norton 360 from here: www.norton.com/n360s_6

If you use Identity Safe, backup your Identity Safe data. Due to the critical nature of the information contained in ID safe we would recommend backing that up manually first just as a precaution even though you will choose to retain all settings when removing NIS.

Remove Norton 360 using Programs and Features (Add/Remove Programs if you are using XP) - do not run the NRT as you'll want to keep your Identitiy Safe and other settings.

Install the fresh copy of Norton 360. Run LiveUpdate as many times as necessary for it to respond that there are "no updates found" (rebooting as requested by LiveUpdate).

Once all that is done in the order I am asking for you to do it, please check Firefox 13 and let us know the version number  and also look at "Add-on's" and see if Norton Toolbar 2012.7.3.1 and Norton Vulnerability Protection 10.1.1.
8-4 are listed and shown as enabled.

Do you now have the Norton Toolbar in FF 13?

Please let us know how this goes.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.