• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Update to NIS 2012 has messed up Identity Safe

NIS 2012 Identity Safe no longer works the way it always has worked meaning.......having it set to automatically login to ID Safe when logged into User account. Yesterday it started doing this of no longer auto logging in....and at first when I tried to enter my password, even though I shouldn't have to, it said my password was incorrect. I immediately logged off of my username and logged back on and went to the settings section for ID Safe and tried logging in and this time it took my password. I saw that my setting stated above had been changed to the default. I reset it to automatically log into ID Safe when logging into my user account, but it doesn't work.

Please Norton, fix this. I get the risks you may say about why this is a problem allowing this setting. Unless ID Safe isn't safe while logged in......which I hope it is not flawed as far as secure, then I can handle the only other thing of concern. That would be someone in my home could have access to my PC while I'm logged on to my Windows account. I have no concern about that.

Again, PLEASE Norton, fix whatever happened in the last day or so that broke NIS 2012 ID Safe. I don't like the 2013 version because of "The Cloud". I can't believe with the recent revelations about government data collection that people aren't concerned about "The Cloud" now, even though I didn't like the "Cloud" thing before the recent revelations.

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Update to NIS 2012 has messed up Identity Safe

NIS 2012 Identity Safe no longer works the way it always has worked meaning.......having it set to automatically login to ID Safe when logged into User account. Yesterday it started doing this of no longer auto logging in....and at first when I tried to enter my password, even though I shouldn't have to, it said my password was incorrect. I immediately logged off of my username and logged back on and went to the settings section for ID Safe and tried logging in and this time it took my password. I saw that my setting stated above had been changed to the default. I reset it to automatically log into ID Safe when logging into my user account, but it doesn't work.

Please Norton, fix this. I get the risks you may say about why this is a problem allowing this setting. Unless ID Safe isn't safe while logged in......which I hope it is not flawed as far as secure, then I can handle the only other thing of concern. That would be someone in my home could have access to my PC while I'm logged on to my Windows account. I have no concern about that.

Again, PLEASE Norton, fix whatever happened in the last day or so that broke NIS 2012 ID Safe. I don't like the 2013 version because of "The Cloud". I can't believe with the recent revelations about government data collection that people aren't concerned about "The Cloud" now, even though I didn't like the "Cloud" thing before the recent revelations.

Kudos0

Re: Update to NIS 2012 has messed up Identity Safe

It might help you get help if you told us what the version ID of your NIS 2012 is -- click on Support / About and it's there in the format nn.nn.nn.nnn where n is a number from 0 to 9 -- and what version of Windows you are running including Service Packs and whether it's 32 bit or 64 bit.

What browser are you using ?

Hugh
Kudos0

Re: Update to NIS 2012 has messed up Identity Safe

Sorry I didn't give the Norton version number of 2012. It is set to keep it updated and I occasionally manually update it so I figure it has to be the most recent version of 2012. I didn't think to give the version number of 2012 since an update has broken it as far as the ID Safe goes. Below is the information you requested along with more specific information about browser info being used.

Norton 2012 version:  19.9.1.14

Operating system: Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit SP1, fully updated. I understand there wil be no SP2 release for Windows 7 now except I found that there is some sort of Windows 7 post SP1 update that may give a rollup of updates released since SP1.

It is messes up using a fully updated IE 9......(I tried IE 10 but it had it's own issues). It is also messed up using Firefox. Version numbers of browsers are as follows:

Firefox 21.0

IE 9.0.8112.16421

There is an update for Firefox but it states that Norton Vulnerability Protection is not compatible with the Firefox update. Given that it is broken with IE 9 AND Firefox, I think it is reasonable to conclude that an update release for NIS 2012 has to be the problem since nothing changed browser wise but NIS updates happen 24/7, 365, and the problem just appeared out of nowhere AND, as I said originally, the setting in NIS 2012 had been reset to the default ID Safe setting.

I have an idea about something that shouldn't have to be tried, but I am trying it and will post back if things end up changing.

Thanks for responding and for any assitance in getting the problem fixed.

Kudos0

Re: Update to NIS 2012 has messed up Identity Safe

Well, I got it working by doing a dance. I reset the setting for ID Safe to its Norton recommended default after my previous reply post, and restarted my computer. After the restart, I changed the setting back again to what I had reset it to already when it got mysteriously changed, which is: No password needed. Automatically log me in when Windows is started.

I restarted my PC again and now ID Safe is logging in like it is AND was set to. I should have tried the dance apparently before bothering to post, but I shouldn't have had to. I had restarted my computer a couple of times after resetting the setting that had to be reset for reasons that had nothing to do with me. Whew! I hope that makes sense.

- Bottom line...I, or nobody with access to my PC, made any changes to the ID Safe login setting, so it had to have been done because of a Norton update. I have Windows update set to manual. I know about Patch Tuesday and I also know that patches can still be released at anytime. I regularly manually check for Windows updates and none had been done anywhere around the time of the problem that started within the last 2 days.

- When the problem arose, I immediately checked the setting and found it had been changed to its default.....I changed it back. I had restarted my computer a couple of times after this. It still wasn't acting like it should as it pertained to the setting it was set at in ID Safe 'Password & Security'.....to login to ID Safe when logging into Windows account

- The dance, as I laid out above, came to mind as I was finishing my previous post. I did the dance and I'm glad it is now working . It never should have stopped working in the first place due to a Norton update. I hope they look into it for other peoples sake and to make sure it doesn't happen again.

I hope this helps anyone else that may have this issue arise also.

Kudos0

Re: Update to NIS 2012 has messed up Identity Safe

Thanks blubegone for the feedbacka nd explanation of your "dance".

I have seen this occur at times in the past where a simple, change a setting, save(Apply) it and reboot and then change the setting back to the desired setting, save(Apply) it and reboot and it will not only take this time - but also hold.  So the "dance" you did is not the first I have heard of it.

Now what's the reason?  Is it in fact a Norton Update that caused it?  We can't see who uses your system, nor which buttons are clicked on by the system's users.  I know I have hit the Use System Defaults by mistake when I tired to hit the APPLY Button, perhaps another user of your system did the same thing.   That could be one answer.

Could a Norton update change a single setting to it's Default setting on your system?  I am not sure and have not seen it, although by stretching my imagination, I could understand that a certain setting must be in the default position for an update to be applied properly.  Sort of along the lines that your browser needs to be stopped in order to apply a Patch.

So, the bottom line is I don't know the exact reason for the change, but your "dance" has worked in the past and is suggested by others on this board as a valid fix.  Sorry I wasn't more help - perhaps someone else has an answer.

Kudos0

Re: Update to NIS 2012 has messed up Identity Safe

Thanks for the details -- that is the current version of NIS 2012 so far as my own installed version knows <s>

I'm glad you resolved it and that you have Yank's comments.

I'd just add that I could understand if Norton itself thought it was unsafe to be able to go from your login screen to an "open" identity safe on your computer without using a password to open the Identity Safe.

I live in a very closed environment (no not imposed by the courts <g>) and so unauthorized access to my PC is highly unlikely so I understand your using that setup but it would seem to mean that all your ID/Password inside the Identity Safe are open to anyone who comes upon your computer while open, or who hacks in from outside.

Or have I misunderstood what you meant by  << ....having it set to automatically login to ID Safe when logged into User account. >> ?

Hugh
Kudos0

Re: Update to NIS 2012 has messed up Identity Safe


huwyngr wrote:

I live in a very closed environment (no not imposed by the courts <g>) and so unauthorized access to my PC is highly unlikely so I understand your using that setup but it would seem to mean that all your ID/Password inside the Identity Safe are open to anyone who comes upon your computer while open, or who hacks in from outside.

Or have I misunderstood what you meant by  << ....having it set to automatically login to ID Safe when logged into User account. >> ?


You have it correct huwyngr. The setting that has been removed in NIS 2013 and that is still in NIS 2012, allows you to be able to automatically be logged into a single Windows user account for that user's ID Safe at time of login, if they choose to do so....the setting is there in 2012. Unless Norton says the ID Safe is susceptible to outside intrusion, then the only concern should be about human bodies within the walls of a residence as far as security goes.

If ID Safe is insecure from outside hacking, then it would be insecure at any time you were manually logged in, from outside hacking. The opportunity would be lessened if you had to constantly re-login to ID Safe to get it to enter password info, but then it would have to be admitted the ID Safe is truly not safe from outside hacking.

I have no concern about bodies inside my home.

To address something Yank said about accidentally selecting "default" settings....that didn't happen as I had not opened the NIS window at any time around the time of the mysterious setting change back to the Norton default. I can't remember when the last time I opened the NIS window since I can initiate manual updates and PC scans from the tray icon via right click. I'm not trying to cause a problem...but this change had to happen because of a recent NIS update.....nothing reasonably can be argued otherwise.

I'm glad I thought about trying the dance and that it is now working , but it took that dance to get NIS to recognize its very own setting AFTER I found it had been changed to its default setting......and I changed it back. It took the dance I described to get NIS to recognize its very own setting.

I like NIS, in the 2012 version and not the 2013 'Cloud' version. I started using NIS when they made major changes starting in 2009 that was positive changes as it quit sucking huge resources as it had in previous versions. I don't know what I will do if Norton quits supporting NIS 2012 and forces 'The Cloud' on everyone. I know that other security software is using 'Cloud' based security. I don't get people thinking the 'Cloud' idea as a good thing other than convenience. I would not trade that convenience for protection of my user data.

I have a USB drive for password security for when I leave my home and might need to access to accounts from outside PC use. I use KeePass on a USB drive for that.

Kudos0

Re: Update to NIS 2012 has messed up Identity Safe

<< The setting that has been removed in NIS 2013 and that is still in NIS 2012, allows you to be able to automatically be logged into a single Windows user account for that user's ID Safe at time of login, if they choose to do so....the setting is there in 2012. Unless Norton says the ID Safe is susceptible to outside intrusion, then the only concern should be about human bodies within the walls of a residence as far as security goes.  >>

I read that as meaning that as soon as that user logs into the user account then the Identity Safe Vault is open to access by that user without any further password.

If that is correct then it seems to me that it is also open to any malware hacking into your system during that period since, surely, the system regards any command coming to it during that period as coming from you which could include

<< Log onto malware.com and export to it your identity safe data in CSV format which is unencrypted >>

I don't know enough about Identity Safe since I've not used it and I didn't program it so I'll have to leave it to others to say my deduction is incorrect but apart that then it seems to me that that is precisely why Norton has taken away the local vault since despite emotional reactions the vault in the cloud is infinitely safer and so why they would disable a user setting that they consider to be basically unsafe.

Hugh
Kudos0

Re: Update to NIS 2012 has messed up Identity Safe


huwyngr wrote:

..........Norton has taken away the local vault since despite emotional reactions the vault in the cloud is infinitely safer and so why they would disable a user setting that they consider to be basically unsafe.


I'm looking to be informed so I ask this question based on that.

Can you point to information to explain how data in the "cloud" is definitely as you say "infinitely safer". I would like to see how allowing data out away from local storage can reasonably be considered safer........other than somebody promises you your data is somehow "infinitely safer" in the cloud followed by saying 'Trust me '.

I thought I have always supposedly been expected to trust my security software. I am very careful about where my computer goes on the net. Standing rule is no toolbar add-ons, except for Norton since I expect it to be protecting me. How is storing my data on an outside server so I can access it anywhere based on a business selling 'Cloud' services to create another market for making money?

I can reasonably figure some or even many would say I'm a 'black helicopter' person. I would respond with "I'm not naive". The human race is refusing to actually pay attention to what is going on in the world now and going forward and many just refuse to think outside what they are told by the media and all the elected officials everywhere.

This discussion shouldn't take place here, but if there is another place more appropriate, then please respond with that and/or a link with information where it can prove that internet server storage(Cloud) is absolutely 100% secure. The problem I started this thread for is fixed and I hope Norton picked up on this and tries to keep it from happening in the future.

Kudos0

Re: Update to NIS 2012 has messed up Identity Safe

bbg,

Firtly my apologies for a missing NOT in the last sentence of my message that you quoted:

<<   .... and so why they would they not disable a user setting that they consider to be basically unsafe.  >>

I can't point you to data on safety.

My statement was based on what I consider a logical belief that the amount of security that surrounds my data when in the hands of Norton in the cloud, and the cost incurred in ensuring this, is so infinitely greater than I could possibly have surrounding my data on my own machine that the in the cloud safety is inherently safer than local.

Count up the number of times data security in the Norton system has been compromised and compare it with the number of time home computers, and business computers, are hacked .......

I can assure you I am not naive either and I'm well aware of what can happen especially at the government level but I don't let that make me keep gold bricks under my bed because all the existing banking systems are in fact in the cloud.

Hugh
Kudos0

Re: Update to NIS 2012 has messed up Identity Safe

No gold bricks here, although they would be nice.

I wish only good outcomes and truly hope my concerns about cloud technology never come to pass. The fact that nothing yet has happened,....... 'The Cloud' is a relatively new technology that is still clearly in the adoption stage.

Again, I truly hope my concerns never show themselves because I know the impact could be very devastating because many are just going along with it without even giving so much as a thought about the technology.

As far as "all the existing banking systems are in fact in the cloud". A local major grocery store chain in my area very recently admitted that Mastercard users with transactions at their store had been compromised and recommended their shoppers get new cards(these are not a grocery card MC....it's all MC users). I, just the other day, received a letter from American Express generally saying because of incidences recently that they were implementing extra safeguards. I have a Mastercard also and I buy most everything with a CC because I pay them all off immediately(no interest at all) and I receive cash back bonus money for using the cards. I use my CC as though I am using a debit card....meaning I don't take into account the CC limit I have\....but my spending is driven with what money I have in my bank account. It also makes it easier to maintain my checking account by not making me have to keep track of multiple debit transactions. That's all I can say about that, although I wonder if this breach happened in 'The Cloud'.

I suppose I should admit I feel I have just given TMI in a public forum since someone believes I hide gold bricks under my bed. I'm also fully aware of all things surrounding my way of what I described above as far as CC use. I'm not doing anything wrong, so I don't care if someone profiles me by what I do using CC's by looking at my CC records.

Good luck to everyone, we're going to need it.

Again I say, problem is fixed with ID Safe and I feel this discussion should be had somewhere else. I would continue this discussion somewhere else, unless the Norton Mods here don't care about this back and forth in this section about this topic......whatever. I'm game.

Kudos0

Re: Update to NIS 2012 has messed up Identity Safe

I wonder what you wonder about this news article that discusses 'Cloud' technology.....more specifically, Microsoft Sky Drive. I still wonder what you have to say about the breach of credit card data that I mentioned. I found that the local grocery store chain in my area wasn't an isolated incident. Most CC's are issued by banks.......so "all the existing banking systems are in fact in the cloud". would suggest to me that CC transactions may likely happen in the 'Cloud'.

I gave up on waiting for a response to my previous post, as I figured you couldn't come up with a response. I let it go, but I read this article today and I wonder what your thoughts are on it. As I said, we can continue this in another forum......just let me know where. I'm just wanting to have a discussion on this topic so I can learn more maybe. There just needs to be more than statements and nothing else, but statements which are then backed up with facts or a direction to a place where facts are stated to backup stated claims.

I don't understand anyone who isn't interested in trying to learn about something on the scale of the 'Cloud' based on something more than 'because I was told so, so it must be true.'

Kudos0

Re: Update to NIS 2012 has messed up Identity Safe

The incident you mention with your CC at the local grocer does not necessarily have to be a cloud related issue. Unless you were given more information about the breech than you have given us, I can only suggest that it could have been a card skimming fraud, or a problem with the transmission of the CC data from the grocer to the processing centre.

Was the grocer's system hacked? Maybe. Does their system have the same safeguards as those of a dedicated security company? I can only suggest that maybe not.

Like it or not, it seems that at some time in the future we will all be assimilated into the Borg, er Cloud.   If we want to be connected, we may not have a choice.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

Re: Update to NIS 2012 has messed up Identity Safe

Thanks Peterweb for the response you gave to the CC question. I don't know the details of the breech because it wasn't released.....which I can understand why because that would be giving TMI to ignorant persons who may want to try the same thing.

I was wondering though still what you thought about the linked to 'report' that Microsoft helped the NSA and FBI get around "encrypted code" and "easier access to its cloud storage service SkyDrive and let the NSA have access to email on Outlook and Hotmail before it was encrypted", respectively?

Thanks for giving me the word "Borg" to research. There is something I hadn't heard of before......but I just did a quick research on the term and see where the term came from in respect to the 'Cloud'. This is exactly the kind of discussion that helps get information out.....which is exactly why I believe a discussion like this should be had. Discussions should help out everyone, as far as getting out information, if those involved are willing to listen to all of the reasoned parts of said discussion.

Thanks again Peterweb!

Kudos0

Re: Update to NIS 2012 has messed up Identity Safe


blubegone wrote:

I was wondering though still what you thought about the linked to 'report' that Microsoft helped the NSA and FBI get around "encrypted code" and "easier access to its cloud storage service SkyDrive and let the NSA have access to email on Outlook and Hotmail before it was encrypted", respectively?


Thanks again Peterweb!


If you think Big Brother is not watching, I have some slightly soggy real estate for sale...

I look at this kind of information as being scary, but at the same time I am not doing anything I need to worry that they might see.

The only way to be 100% safe is to never connect to the rest of the world.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

Re: Update to NIS 2012 has messed up Identity Safe


peterweb wrote:

blubegone wrote:

I was wondering though still what you thought about the linked to 'report' that Microsoft helped the NSA and FBI get around "encrypted code" and "easier access to its cloud storage service SkyDrive and let the NSA have access to email on Outlook and Hotmail before it was encrypted", respectively?


Thanks again Peterweb!


If you think Big Brother is not watching, I have some slightly soggy real estate for sale...

I look at this kind of information as being scary, but at the same time I am not doing anything I need to worry that they might see.

The only way to be 100% safe is to never connect to the rest of the world.


Thanks for responding Peterweb. Message 11 of this thread covers about how I conduct business knowing full well the CC companies can profile me totally and completely. Lines are being crossed now if when about the largest tech company as far as units in service....and you(MS) are helping teach data encryption breaking skills and letting others have access to your Cloud based service and most likely not telling the subscribers to your SkyDrive Cloud that their data is being shared with the government....and may not just be used to make sure you have paid all your taxes.

I'm not doing anything wrong either.....but as Benjamin Franklin said "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

I'm one who wants my essential liberty back....which was the main thing that originally made this country get created in the first place. The Founders didn't know how far the development of things would become as we see them today, but they knew well enough to say things about what they knew most likely would eventually happen if the people just sat back and buried their heads in the sand and fully trusted leaders that they got themselves to believe said leaders would never cross the line,....and now it has....which goes back to what Mr. Franklin's statement, quoted above, was meant to address

Thanks for the offer of the soggy real estate, but you caught me too late. I just got done with my new home project....It is an energy efficient home built 30 ft below the surface for insulation purpose. Getting 'Green' tax breaks for it. It is fully self-sufficient, using natural gas for power. I'd invite everyone over, but it's kinda hard to give directions to a home you can't even tell it is there. People just keep walking around all over the place above us and can't seem to find the door........those silly friends of mine. 

Oh and, thanks Peterweb again for responding....also for reminding me to run the 250th backup for today of my ID Safe Data. I was at 249..........

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.