• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Vista (SP-2) Event Audit Failure 5038 BHDrvx86.sys

Norton Security (2015, installed 28AUG15) Vista SP-2 Event Viewer Audit Failure 5038:

"Code integrity determined that the image hash of a file is not valid. The file could be corrupt due to unauthorized modification or the invalid hash could indicate a potential disk device error. File Name: \Device\HarddiskVolume2\Program Files\Norton Security\NortonData\22.5.2.15\Definitions\BASHDefs\20150706.001\BHDrvx86.sys"

sigverif.txt--[c:\program files\norton security\nortondata\22.5.2.15\definitions\bashdefs\20150706.001]
bhdrvx86.sys             7/10/2015      None                Signed              N/A

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\BHDrvx86 -- image path key in registry: \??\C:\Program Files\Norton Security\NortonData\22.5.2.15\Definitions\BASHDefs\20150706.001\BHDrvx86.sys

this has hapened 2 times after uninstalling via control panel + NRT + Remove all Norton an Symantec folders + chkdsk /f reboot and re-install cleanly. The 2nd install downloaded to location, closed Browser, unblocked file and ran as administrator to no avail.

The Audit failure will re-appear in event viewer based on 2 clean installs (not in safe mode!)

I see various issues with this driver as far back as 2009 = Back to the future. I guess that this can be safely ignored until fixed?

Sincerely,

Mary's Husband, Ken

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Vista (SP-2) Event Audit Failure 5038 BHDrvx86.sys

Hello Mary or Ken

Since you have just installed the program have you run live update until no more updates and rebooted as necessary? What was your previous security program and how did you uninstall it?

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.19.8.65 Core Firmware 282 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

This may be another example of why I do not look at Windows event viewer or the History logs in my Norton product. Doing so just causes unnecessary stress. These entries are logged to help support staff. If there is a problem with the product, it can help diagnose what is causing the problem.

Most of the time the products are still working just fine and could have the issue fixed automatically with a future product update.

Are you seeing any problems with your Norton Security?

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

This Sony Vaio, VGN-N220E, Vista, SP-2 security audit failure 5038 only seems to occur after a chkdsk /f. Previously this machine ran NIS 2014, and MABM (2.3.55.0) free. I unstalled NIS 2014 through Control Panel, rebooted, and ran NRT (22.0.5.3), rebooted closed Explorer 9 (no comments), removed any leftover NORTON, NIS and Symantec folders and files, I downloaded Noron Security 2015 (22.5.2.15) to a folder.Then unblock and run as admin -- Browser closed. Rebooted and ran live update. I believe that there is something (minorly) wrong with BHDrvx86.sys. Norton History also detected issue (after chkdsk /f) log attached.

Lastly, Norton has 2 times in two days issued a temporary problem (3048, 3). Mary did not run fix, and I do not see it now. I believe that something is not quite right in Vista / NS, and that Symantec will eventually fix it in a download. The product seems stable and working fine otherwise--Thanks!

Kudos0

Try running chkdsk /r   This will check to see if there are any physical problems with your hard drive. 

You might also check your Windows system files. Click on Start and type CMD in the search box. Right click on cmd.exe and click on Run as Administrator. Type 'sfc /scannow' without the quotes. This will check your Windows installation and try to correct any errors it finds.

Kudos0

The text / Vista Home Premium (SP-2), event viewer log (with notation) is attached as per Mr. Ervin Clyde Dela Cerna's request, and thank you for the remote desktop professional install.

Kudos0

Ken

Your last post seems to indicate you contacted Support and that things are working correctly again. If this is true, can you mark your post as the solution, so others with the same issue can see what to do?

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.