• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Why has my Norton Safe Search Box disappeared after updating to Firefox 46.0.1

I updated to Firefox 46.01 and my Safe Search box has disappeared. Is it available yet? (The Norton safe Search box is still showing on my IE11.) I also wanted to know why I was not able to sign in to my Norton Community Account and had to create a new account, but was able to use my old user name. I have been a member for years.

(Windows 7 Ultimate)

Replies

Kudos1 Stats

Re: Why has my Norton Safe Search Box disappeared after updating to Firefox 46.0.1

Hello

We now have a new way of signing into the Forum. You have to sign into your Norton Account first and then sign into the Forum.

Thanks

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.17.2.47 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

Re: Why has my Norton Safe Search Box disappeared after updating to Firefox 46.0.1

Thank you for clarifying the sign in procedure. It did recognize my prior participation. That answers my second part of the question. Once I get a reply on the first part, I will label it solved.

Thanks again.

Kudos1 Stats

Hello

I looked a little while ago at my IE 11 Manage Add-Ons Search Providers. I have 4 listed with Google marked as my Default one. All 4 are marked Enabled. All 4 have a link to the proper Search Engine.  There is now a new column. It says Available or Unavailable. The only one that is marked as Available is Bing. Norton Safe Search was 1 of my 4 choices.. That is marked as unavailable.  I have Google, Yahoo, Bing and Norton Safe Search. I don't know when this change took place.

I just tested it. Even though it says it's unavailable, I can still use both. Safe Search is still available on my IE 11 Browser. I don't know about new installs of Norton Security Premium.

The Toolbar for Firefox is under construction also. Have you restarted your computer a few  times to see if you have all the updates? Only partial compatibility is available now. There is a big Announcement about that in the Toolbar Forum.  Please  wait for a  Firefox user to fill in what I missed or have  wrong.

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.17.2.47 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

Norton Security Premium is actually Norton Security with Backup, but gives you 10 licenses. Don't know why they had to confuse the names. I checked the Manage Add-Ons Search Providers in IE11 and had 5 choices. Norton safe search was the default, but was marked "Not Available", even though I do have the Norton Safe Search box in IE11.

As far as Firefox 46.0.1 goes, if I use the URL bar to search, I do see the Norton Safe and/or Secure icons in the search results. I was able to get a Norton Symbol and small square search box to show in the toolbar, but it is non-functional. Like you say, it looks like it may work at a later date.

I am holding off on marking this thread as solved and will look for the announcement in your reply.

Thanks again

Kudos1 Stats

Try clicking on the 3 dots on the Norton Toolbar. Check that the Safe Search feature is turned on. Then restart the Firefox.

If it is already turned on, try turning it off and restarting Firefox. Then turn it on again and restart Firefox.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

The problem is that the Norton Toolbar choice is not available in the "View" tab. The only toolbars available are the Menu Bar and the Bookmarks Toolbar. I have attached a screen shot showing the "View" tab. Note that what would be the Norton Safe Search Bar, which I inserted using the Customize tab, is in place in the upper right side, but is totally unusable. I can't move it or get to a point where I can see the 3 dots as I have in the past.

EDIT: I am editing this reply as I had an old Firefox screenshot on my desktop. There was a 2nd "Search" box to the right of the "Search or enter address" box. If I recall correctly, it would show your search engine of choice as you typed in a search. (I would attach it, but there are some personal icons in the Bookmarks Toolbar.)

Thanks for your reply.

File Attachment: 
Kudos1 Stats

Your image shows private browsing. Can you disable that and see it the toolbar comes back?

Accepted Solution
Kudos0

I only showed private browsing and hid my bookmark toolbar in the PDF as there are some personal icons on my desktop. I did however go back to my privacy settings, which I had set at always open in a private window. After changing the settings the Norton Safe Search toolbar appeared. Looks like my problem is solved. See attached PDF.

peterweb: Thanks for your reply 

File Attachment: 
Kudos1 Stats

Good to hear things are working properly again.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.