• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Will NIS 2011 (version is 18.7.2.3) run on a 64 bit Windows 8 PC ?

Some time ago I bought NIS 2011 with a license to install on 3 computers. I installed it on my workhorse
computer running Win XP 32 bit. Now I want to install on a second computer - my new Win8 machine - 64 bit. 
I plan to use both computers (at least for a while).  They share a router but are NOT networked. Any advice on how to utilize my NIS 2011 license on these two machines? Current version is 18.7.2.3

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Will NIS 2011 (version is 18.7.2.3) run on a 64 bit Windows 8 PC ?

Welcome,

If your subscription is current you can install the current, W8 compatible, version of NIS on that machine as one of your three devices.

http://norton.com/latestnis

Is the link to download it. Be sure to run live update after activation and rebooting so that you can bring it up to the minute.

Keep us posted

Dick Win 10x64 current current NSBU
Kudos0

Thanks for the quick reply, Dick. Yes, my subscription is current.  When I log in to my Norton Account, there is a "Download" button that is obviously intended to download a second NIS 2011 onto another computer. I was going to keep it simple and download from there IF NIS 2011 will run on the 64 bit machine. I need my subscription to co-exist on both the 32 bit machine and 64 bit machine.  If I update to the latest version of NIS, then do I run into problems with my old workhorse Windows 32 bit machine? You see my dilemma? Or am I over-thinking the situation?

Kudos0

Hi, Fracked. Since you're downloading V 2011 onto two different machines, you have no need to worry.

2011 is 64 bit compatible.

See this page, for more info.

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/kb20080410115446EN_EndUserProfile_en_us

Windows 10 Home X 64
Kudos2 Stats

Fracked wrote:

Thanks for the quick reply, Dick. Yes, my subscription is current.  When I log in to my Norton Account, there is a "Download" button that is obviously intended to download a second NIS 2011 onto another computer. I was going to keep it simple and download from there IF NIS 2011 will run on the 64 bit machine. I need my subscription to co-exist on both the 32 bit machine and 64 bit machine.  If I update to the latest version of NIS, then do I run into problems with my old workhorse Windows 32 bit machine? You see my dilemma? Or am I over-thinking the situation?

If you download from your Norton Account you will get the latest version, which is v21.

NIS11 is not compatible with Windows 8, you will need v21 for that machine and it doesn't matter if it is 32 or 64 bit.

Windows 10 x64 1903
Kudos0

Thanks, Krusty. I should have mentioned that info is at the bottom of the page I referred to....

Windows 10 Home X 64
Kudos0

Thanks everyone. I guess I was hung up on how to run two different versions of NIS on two computers using the one (3PC) license. I don't really want to upgrade from NIS2011 on my old 32 bit PC just yet. From what I have seen on the boards, I should be able to run NIS2012 on the new 64 bit PC until all the kinks get worked out of the newest version. 2012 looks to be stable. Thinking about trying that if I have that option updating from my account. Or can I do that from the update center?

Again - I appreciate the help already given.

Kudos0

Hi, Fracked. If you go through the upgrade system you will be upgraded to the latest and greatest, aka V 21.

If you wish to revert to 2012 the link is here in peterwebs' post, reprinted here with amendments.

Download the NIS 2012 installer from 

http://buy-download.norton.com/downloads/2012/NISNAV/US/19.8/NIS-ESD-19-8-0-14-EN.exe

If you are using Identity Safe, be sure to backup/export your data. Uninstall your previous Norton version

Run the installer for 2012.

Be sure to run LiveUpdate manually a few times, rebooting as necessary, until no updates are available.

Restore your Identity Safe data.

Check under Settings - Computer - Updates. Make sure the option to Automatic Download of New Version is turned off.

Let us know if this helps. Thanks to peterweb for these instructions. V 19.8 is the latest 2012 installer.

Windows 10 Home X 64
Kudos0

So sorry for tardy response, folks. Been out of state on family emergency. Just back and catching up.
I think you have all sorted out my options and how to go about it. Thanks for your help. I will have to clean
the AV produce that came with the new computer off and then get my NIS installed. Can we hold off closing
this out in case I run into problems? Will get back and let you know how it goes.

Kudos0

Hi Fracked,

Take your time - when you get it sorted out please do come back and at that point you can select the post that assisted you the best and select the Accept as Solution Button on that post to close this thread out.
Kudos1 Stats

FYI on Windows 8 NIS Compatibility...

Windows 8.0

--------------------

NIS 2011 - No

NIS 2012 - Yes

NIS 2013 - Yes

NIS 2014 - Yes

Windows 8.1

--------------------

NIS 2011 - No

NIS 2012 - No

NIS 2013 - Yes

NIS 2014 - Yes

Kind regards,

John

Kudos1 Stats

There is no problem running different versions with the same key. I am presently running NIS 2013 and NIS 2014 on two systems, and recently installed NIS 2012 on another all with the same key. As avjohnie posted some versions of NIS are not compatible with Windows 8 or 8.1.

Jim

Kudos0

OK. I have NIS 21.1.0.18 on my 64-bit Win8 machine. I ran Live Update several times and it acts as if it is installing a patch each time, but in summary says a patch will be added automatically later. Have I run Update enough times? I decided to try NIS 21 for now and check it out rather than hold back with NIS 2012. Gonna give 21 a chance. Oh... installation process left me with installation files and a "desktop" shortcut to those files. Can I delete these?

Accepted Solution
Kudos0

Hi, Fracked. If your download was successful you can delete those desktop files, or just move them to your docs folder, if you wish to keep them.

If you're running Live Update manually, it's always best to keep doing it until advised no more are found.

Windows 10 Home X 64
Kudos0

Ahhh. OK. Ran Live update a few more times and it finally reported all were found - no additional patches.  OK. That was not so bad. Now if this computer will play nice with NIS 21, them it's off to the races. Thanks to all for input, info and advice !!

Kudos0

Thanks for coming back Fracked - please select a post for the solution so others may see what fixed it for you.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.