• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Win10 Norton 360 CPU/RAM hog

Recently, after letting the system sit idle for a bit, Norton starts its daily tests - in the middle of the work day.  I try starting an application and it will just sit there....  Meanwhile, Norton 360 has 50-50% of the CPU and 50% of the RAM -- with only 2% of the disk, so I don't know what it thinks it is doing.

It will continue to run like that for a long time.  If I use the Task Manger to "End Task", my applications will come alive and a replacement Norton 360 task immediately respawns using about 20% and then disappears.

1 -- Shouldn't it do stuff like this at 3 in the morning?

2 -- Shouldn't it recognize the applications starting up and pull back on its CPU use?

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Win10 Norton 360 CPU/RAM hog

I have the same problem with Norton Secutity. IE becomes unusable and other applications slow down noticeably. Was never a problem before with IE7 or a year with IE10.

Kudos0

It took five minutes for Microsoft Edge to start yesterday.  I now suspect Norton360 was the culprit.

When I fire off Everquest2, it hangs at the final stage of logging in, where I can see the character and the environment, but nothing is responsive.  Using the Task Manager, I "end" the Norton 360 task and the game activates INSTANTLY.  So, it looks like at least three applications are seriously impacted; IE, Edge & EQ2. 

Right now, I just sat down at my system for the first time this morning.  Task manager is running and the number one task is Norton 360  with about 20% of the CPU, 30% of the RAM and 2% of the disk.  There are no user applications running, just the hundreds of windows background processes.  At 10 am in the morning, Norton 360 should be hiding in the background, doing nothing but monitoring.

Kudos0

Since I ran into problems entering EQ2 again today and no one has bothered to respond to my post, I posted a warning on on the EQ2 forum about Norton360's negative impact on the game.

Fortunate, when I end the Norton360 task, it pops back up immediately, behaving correctly.

Kudos0

All: If you are on Windows 10 start by disabling "fast boot" in Windows settings. Reboot your systems. Here is how:  https://community.norton.com/en/forums/windows-881-or-10-and-fast-start-feature-0

You can also set your scanning to a different scheduled time when your devices are not being utilized for other work. Please see my screenshot.

Concerning the game startup. You can exclude that game from being monitored by Norton within your Norton dashboard settings IF you are absolutely sure it is a trusted source. Per the screenshot under "Items to exclude from auto-protect, sonar, and download intelligence detection" click configure and add the program/folder you want to exclude.

Cheers

"From DOS to Windows10 what a journey it has been" / MS Certified Professional / Windows 10 Home / Professional x 64 version 1903 / build 18362.239 / N360 Deluxe 22.17.3.50 / Norton Core v.282 on Android 2.00
Kudos0

I am a little concerned about your statement that you end the 360 task in Task Manager. You should not be able to do that as Norton Product Tamper Protection should block you from doing this. So maybe there is some corruption in your Norton installation.

I would suggest getting a fresh install using the Norton Removal and Reinstall Tool from   www.norton.com/nrnr   Do this from a Windows Admin account.   Be sure you read the Before you Begin section, and run LiveUpdate manually a few times, restarting as necessary, until no updates are available.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.