• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Windows 10 Insider Preview 14942 Install Failure due to Norton Internet Security

My computer on 10-07-2016 tried to install Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14942, an update from the Build 14936.  This update has important fixes, such as fixing the NTFS file system corruption and sfc /scannow failure issues with the previous build that prevents me from making an error free backup of my Windows partitions.  This build however, fails to install because NIS is running.  I have a requirement to use NIS, and temporarily uninstalling it for the update does not work because reactivating NIS after installation of this update will result in a BSOD.  I am stuck in a loop, because I am unable to disable the automatic install of Build 14942 because it fails and reverts back to the previous build, and then tries again the next night.  I am unable to stop the installation of Build 14942 until it installs correctly, which I am unable to do because my requirement is to always use NIS.  I require an update to NIS that will allow me to install Build 14942.  You will have to execute this work eventually;  I recommend that you make it your highest priority now so that those of us in this situation are able to move forward with our work. 

When do you expect to have a fix for this issue?

Labels: Windows 10

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Windows 10 Insider Preview 14942 Install Failure due to Norton Internet Security

Although Norton may work with preview builds, they are not officially supported.

This from Tony Weiss. https://community.norton.com/en/comment/7201411#comment-7201411

Windows 10 Home X 64
Kudos0

Re: Windows 10 Insider Preview 14942 Install Failure due to Norton Internet Security

If you choose to use a beta OS then no one is to blame besides yourself. Even Microsoft warns you about using a beta OS or an insider preview. The OS editions are for "testing" purposes only and not intended to be your everyday OS. So in a nutshell "use at your own risk". It is all over the internet. Not just related to Norton users. Avast, Malwarebytes and Kaspersky users all having install issues. But then again this is what you asked for when you install a "preview". 

https://www.google.com/search?q=Windows+10+Insider+Preview+14942&oq=Wind...

http://www.windows10forums.com/threads/14942-fails-installation.10897/

Kudos0

Hello

Norton will have a fix for this build if it is released for public use. They are working on it now. Thanks for letting Norton know that there is an issue with this build. They like to have descriptions of the issues so that they may work on the issue and have a fix by the time the build is released. Norton does look over the threads and should notice that you are having a problem. However, you should be using a test machine and expect to have issues with test builds.

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.18.0.213 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

Also, for those considering build 14946, you might find this interesting. From Dona Sarkar of M/S.

Known issues for PC

If you have 3rd party antivirus products such as Bitdefender, Kaspersky Antivirus, F-Secure Antivirus and Malwarebytes installed on your PC – your PC might not be able to complete the update to this build and roll-back to the previous build.

Windows 10 Home X 64
Kudos0

I was unable to install either Insider Preview Build 14942 0r 14946 with Norton Security installed.  With 14942, I quit the installation uninstalled NS and then installed 14942.  Then reinstalled NS, which totally farkeled the computer.  I had to roll back to a System Image from a couple of days earlier.  Stayed with the earlier Build 14936 until 14946 was issued.  Tried to install it, but it hung at 81% like 14942.  Uninstalled NS, installed 14946, and left NS off.  Will not reinstall until I read on this forum that NS works with a preview build.  In the meantime, will live with Windows Defender.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.