• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Windows 10 May 2019 Update Compatibility

Is the latest version of Norton Security 22.17.1.50 fully compatible with the latest Windows 10? Will the program or system encounter any problems? Of course, I will install the system after reformatting the disk.

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Windows 10 May 2019 Update Compatibility

Hello SKIBA. The release notes don't mention anything in the latest version update which suggest anything was added specifically for W10 1903 compatibility. There are others who HAVE it installed without issues, that discussion is in this thread. Please take note of the link I provided with the "known issues" article from Microsoft. Its fairly extensive and personally, give me reason to defer 1903 until they are corrected. Hope this helps.

Cheers

"From DOS to Windows10 what a journey it has been" / MS Certified Professional / Windows 10 Home / Professional x 64 version 1903 / build 18362.175 / N360 Deluxe 22.17.2.47 / Norton Core v.282 on Android 2.00
Kudos0

SoulAsylum:

Hello SKIBA. The release notes don't mention anything in the latest version update which suggest anything was added specifically for W10 1903 compatibility. There are others who HAVE it installed without issues, that discussion is in this thread. Please take note of the link I provided with the "known issues" article from Microsoft. Its fairly extensive and personally, give me reason to defer 1903 until they are corrected. Hope this helps.

Cheers

So, I will wait for a month.

Kudos0

I'm deferring. Just a personal choice to wait on my part. 1809 almost destroyed one of my machines I won't make that mistake again.

Cheers

"From DOS to Windows10 what a journey it has been" / MS Certified Professional / Windows 10 Home / Professional x 64 version 1903 / build 18362.175 / N360 Deluxe 22.17.2.47 / Norton Core v.282 on Android 2.00
Kudos1 Stats

I had my Laptop on the Release Preview and had no problems with Norton or Malwarebytes.

I left the insider program and 1903 is still working OK. 

Yesterday I updated one Desktop from 1809 to 1903 and no issues.

I made system images using Macrium Reflex Free so can go back at anytime. 

Jim 

Kudos0

I had a mixed experience with Norton and Win10 1903 across multiple machines with different processors/memory/chipsets. All are running Win10 Pro and were updated to 1809 for several months. I'm using Norton Security with Backup, latest version.

Machine 1 was offered the update through Windows Update (WU). That system took >10 hours to download and install, and I disabled Auto-Protect to try to speed it up. After that, it seemed to work fine, but I don't know for sure if it needed an update to Norton.

Machine 2 was updated through Windows Update Assistant (UA). Based on experience with Machine 1, I disabled Auto-Protect and the update took about 2 hours. After a couple of reboots, Norton reported a problem and the Norton Remove/Reinstall tool came up. After running that tool, some newer version of Norton was installed and that system is now working.

Machine 3 had a similar experience as Machine 2.

Machine 4 also had a similar experience, but I had to reinstall Norton manually from the web site.

Machine 5 was updated through UA but refused to finish the update installation after four tries and shutting off Auto-Protect. I've decided to wait until that machine gets the update offered through WU.

I'm also going to wait to update Machine 6 until it's offered the update through WU.

Is there a new version of Norton that would be more aware of major updates like 1903?

Kudos0

Is there a new version of Norton that would be more aware of major updates like 1903?

As long as you have LiveUpdate running, you have the latest version. There is no 1903 specific version.

Major Windows updates have a history of hosing software packages, causing the user to reinstall. Norton has been hit with this in the past. But it does not affect every machine. As you have found.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.