Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!
Windows 10 Pro sporadic hangs during large network file copy
I've been running Norton for years; previous Norton Internet Security and now Norton Security (Premium) and have never had issues. Within the last couple of months, I noticed that Windows 10 (Pro) sporadically hangs (off and on) while accessing Windows shares on my local network. I just purchased a brand new machine and loaded up all my software. Much to my disappointment, the issue exists on this machine as well...
To level set, the behavior I see is as follows...
- Mouse movement is no longer smooth, jumping between locations versus gliding.
- Applications (explorer and other) become unresponsive sporadically. It seems to affect just about everything...
- The file copy window itself is also impacted, jumping in % versus advancing like normal and unresponsive sporadically.
- If I cancel the file copy the problem immediately goes away.
- I chose a test file (8GB mkv) to do some testing with:
- Copy from local SSD1 to SSD2; no problems
- Copy from local SSD2 to SSD1; no problems
- Copy from fileserver to SSD1 via Wired LAN (1Gbps); problem occurs
- Copy from fileserver to SSD2 via Wired LAN (1Gbps); problem occurs
- Copy from fileserver to SSD1/2 via Wireless LAN (802.11n); no problems
- My 2nd machine exacts EXACTLY the same way, down to the LAN vs Wireless LAN differences.
- Machines are HP Elitebook 8540w and MSI GS63VR-7RF, and are VERY different...
To begin the process of tracking down the issue, I started with Norton Security as it's the only thing I've installed on both machines that's pervasive enough to cause this kind of issue. Once I uninstalled Norton Security, the problem disappeared. I can copy files to/from the file server over Wired LAN without issue. As soon as I reinstall Norton Security, the problem returns...
Is anyone else experiencing a similar issue? I move a good deal of large files to/from my media server and can confirm this has not always been the case. I always go from wireless to wired when moving large files so I know it hasn't always been this way. Looking back, I feel like whatever it is has cropped up within the last few months...
My running theory is that Norton Security can't keep up with the high transfer rates with whatever checks are being done during the network file copy. If local file copies aren't subject to as much scrutiny, that would explain why SSD to SSD is unaffected. As far as why Wired is impacted and wireless is not... My Wired LAN connection is 1Gbps wired from laptop to file server and both machines can definitely push/pull close to the max. My Wireless LAN connection is limited by my 802.11n access point (Unifi AP).
I know it's a lot to process... Any ideas? I'm using Norton Security Premium across 10 devices (Windows/Android) so I have a vested interest in fixing the problem versus replacing Norton!
Thanks in advance!