• Todas las Comunidades
    • Todas las Comunidades
    • Foros
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Avanzado

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Norton back up restore from an external drive question

Hello.

I recently ruined my computer by dumping a soda into the keyboard. I had to buy a new computer. I purchased one very similar to my ruined one. Pretty much the same model but with Windows 8.1 whereas I previously used Windows 7 because I didn't want to switch to this new interface. Now I have to use the new interface. I'm OK with that.

This Dell came preloaded with MacAfee, sorry, I do have a Norton 360 subscription and will be switching out my MacAfee to Norton in the next few days. In the meantime, I wanted to restore my files from the external drive to this new computer. I plugged in the external drive. I clicked on the Restore folder created by Norton 360. I was afraid because I didn't have Norton installed yet that I wouldn't be able to restore my files to this new computer. Happily, when I clicked on the folder to restore the 34+K files, chose them all, and then clicked on "restore" the external drive started spinning, and all the files were "restored."

However, then I did a search for a folder that I saw 'restored' as it was restoring. When I did that search, the folder did not appear in the search results. So I tried another desktop folder that I know was backed up and I saw restoring as the 'restore' was running and once again that folder did not show up in my search results.

My question basically is: when you go through the restore mode from an external drive to your computer and it runs and then it tells you that the files have been restored, where do they go on the computer? I didn't designate them to go anywhere. I am working on a Dell Inspiron15, 3000 series and my old computer was a Dell Inspiron 1545.

Thanks in advance. BTW, I did not back up each file from my old computer as a "file" - in other words, no individual files backed up individually. All back up was done by using the back up that is a feature of Norton 360.

Respuestas

Kudos1 Stats

Re: Norton back up restore from an external drive question

Hi BCarr.

When you say you searched for them on your new device did you search the whole drive?  I ask as I know that if N360 does not restore to the original location (and in this case I assume it has not) then it restores to an old tree structure which could mean that the files are on the new drive but nowhere near where you might expect.

That said however I am puzzled about the way you say they were restored.as I was not aware that clicking on a folder on the backup drive would run the backup.  If however what you are referring to is the "Arestore.exe" file then that makes more sense.

To be honest the simplest thing to do seems to be to fully remove MacAfee and reinstall Norton.  If you need advice on how to fully remove MacAfee then just ask.

Good luck.

Mike
Kudos1 Stats

See if you have a new folder on the desktop called "Restored", full of your files.

Dave

Kudos0

Hello to both of you and thank you for coming on to give me a hand.

First off, I wish to thank Norton360 for not requiring Norton360 to be installed on the new computer prior to trying to restore my files from the back up folder that I created with my Norton back up feature on my old computer that died. Well, that I killed with the soda. As I said in my original post, I ran the restore and I saw all the files successfully loaded to my new computer.

The problem I had was that I could not find those files. I did several searches for file names that I knew were there but the searches came up empty. I really didn't know where to look for them. Both of your posts helped me realize that the restored files were hiding somewhere on my computer and just needed to be found to be opened up.

This is how I solved the problem. It may sound a bit clunky but it worked:

- I switched from the Windows 8.1 to the old fashioned looking desktop by clicking on the graphic that said "Desktop" on the graphic start page that opens initially when I turn this new computer on.

- I then just right clicked on the desk top and created a new folder.

- I opened that empty new folder and looked at what showed up inside. One of the options was my my OS:C drive. I clicked on that and it opened and lo and behold, there was a folder "Restored Files." I clicked on that to open it and there were various folders which I haven't explored very thoroughly. The BEST file to see to open was one marked "User." And when I opened that file, it had my name and then "desktop." I have looked at the names of many of the files and it looks like they are all there. I have not been able to open them all to see if the folders are holding what I had in them but based on watching the 'restore' from the external drive back up they certainly look as if they will be there.

My only other concern is that when I set up the back up I asked it to back up my emails from Outlook Express that I opened directly on my computer and it was sync'd (I think that's the right word) with my Comcast email address. They were delivered directly to my Outlook Express on my computer. If they are not findable or if they won't open, that will be a loss (because I don't have a list of contacts and haven't saved my emails individually. I do a lot of research and will have lost files that I did not download onto my computer but just kept in the emails. But for me, considering the alternative, that would be a very small loss in the grand scheme of things.

Thank you very much for you good advice and clues and cues to solving this problem. Norton worked spectacularly as far as I can see so far and I thank you very, very much.

Kudos0

Hi BCarr.

Glad you have found most of your files.

I do not use Outlook and so cannot really help in finding your e-mails but if you know where they were stored on the old computer or the name of the file likely to contain them that should give you a good start.

Good luck.

Mike
Kudos2 Stats

You mentioned Outlook Express, but you also mentioned you were using Windows 7?

Outlook express came with all versions of windows up to XP. Vista had "Windows Mail" and Windows 7 and 8 do not come with a mail client.

Microsoft Outlook is a different program from Oulook Express, so it really depends on what program you were actually using.  If it was Outlook, everything is contained in a large .pst file and if you find that file you can import back into Outlook.  If it was Outlook express, each mail folder would have a coresponding .dbx file (inbox.dbx, sent items.dbx, etc).  If you can find that folder containing all the .dbx files you can import all that mail into "windows live mail" and from there import it into Outlook.  (you can't install oulook express in windows 8 and Outlook will not directly import mail from a mail storage location).

Sorry I asked you too look for a folder called "Restored", I should have said "Restored Files".

Dave

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.