• Todas las Comunidades
    • Todas las Comunidades
    • Foros
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Avanzado

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Compatibility with Firefox ESR releases

The current release of Firefox on the ESR channel is version 31.3. This release is supported by Mozilla and receives all current security updates, so why is the Norton Toolbar not compatible with it? I'm using Norton 360 21.6.0.32.

Thank you for addressing this issue.

Respuestas

Kudos0

Re: Compatibility with Firefox ESR releases

Because of the rapid release schedule adopted by Mozilla for upgrades to Firefox, Norton only support the last 3 versions of the browser. See the notes at the bottom of this announcement for FF 34 support.

https://community.norton.com/blogs/product-update-announcements/firefox-...

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

Also, Norton only supports the final public release versions. No beta versions are supported.

Windows 10 Home X 64 Norton Security Premium Latest Version
Kudos0

The whole purpose of the Mozilla Firefox ESR (=Extended Support Release) channel is to support users who do *not* wish to update their browsers each time there is a new release on the regular, rapid-release channel. The same ESR release remains current for nine releases of the regular version, except that security updates are provided. (Every once in a while, there is also a 6-12 week overlap so that two ESR releases are current.) Therefore, it would really make a lot of sense for Norton to support toolbar compatibility for the current one ESR release (or the rare two current releases) in addition to however many versions of the regular release they also support. Firefox ESR are *not* Beta releases -- they are pretty much exactly the opposite of beta; they are highly stable releases that allow for better compatibility over a longer period.
Kudos0

An ESR release still creates a 4th version that must be supported. In this post by SendOfJive  , it is explained that ESR releases are aimed at enterprise users that cannot chase new versions every 6 weeks. Check the link within that post.

The Norton product line is for home consumers. Maybe if you want to use an enterprise browser, you need to look at an enterprise security program.

Kudos0

My comment was phrased poorly as a question. It was directed at Norton customer service or at anyone who could point me to a forum where this is discussed directly by customer service and that allows additional feedback from customers. I was under the impression that Norton staff reads these forums. I'm not really interested in various opinions/excuses from community members about why Norton is not supporting Toolbar in Firefox ESR, but the answer that it represents a fourth version to support is completely unsatisfying. What is magical about the number three? Yes, I agree it is reasonable to limit the number of out-of-date versions supported, but ESR is not an out-of-date version. And even though it is not the latest version available, the number of users who have it installed at a given time must be larger than the number who happen to have some random old version that is no longer supported by Mozilla. Norton sells licenses for small business, not just individuals. Are you saying that a small business with 20 computers would not want to keep a stable version of Firefox that gets the latest security updates without having to upgrade to a new version of the browser every 6 weeks? Mozilla's marketing of ESR to large enterprises doesn't change the fact that it works perfectly well on consumer machines and is an up-to-date, officially supported product. As a Norton customer, I am expressing dissatisfaction at Norton's lack of support for a perfectly good, current browser that just happens not to be the latest, shiniest new thing. If this is not the forum for customers to tell Norton about issues of dissatisfaction, then please let me know what the proper channel for doing so is.
Kudos0

Did you check the link I posted above, along with the link at the bottom of the announcement? That does explain (from a Norton employee) why Norton only supports the last 3 released versions of Firefox.

As your ESR is now beyond that build, it is no longer covered.

You can search these forums for "Firefox ESR" to find discussions going back to very early versions of FF.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.