• Todas las Comunidades
    • Todas las Comunidades
    • Foros
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Avanzado

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Windows10 want only TRIM, but Norton execute ssd defragmentation by W10 ?!

Windows 10 execute TRIM, if i clicked on "optimize" button on dfrgui util window (standart Windows util).

BUT: if i clicked "optimize disk" on Norton GUI, Windows 10 execute defragmentation! (as on screenshot http://www.oszone.net/user_img/vadblog/ssd-defrag-bug05.png)

Norton v.22.11.

P.S. http://www.outsidethebox.ms/why-windows-8-defragments-your-ssd-and-how-y...

Respuestas

Kudos1 Stats

Re: Windows10 want only TRIM, but Norton execute ssd defragmentation by W10 ?!

Yes, I have reported the same problem a long time ago too, but they are denying it! I had to disable Norton's optimization tool and re enable windows' own utility that runs on schedule.  

Kudos0

Norton's disk defrag function,just calls the Windows Disk Optimization features. So if you look at the second link in black_z's post, it explains how Windows treats the optimization function.

Norton does not over ride Windows to do any actual defrag on an SSD. See this Norton KB about this feature.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

The Russian screenshot (of Windows Disk Optimization) actually says that it is defragging. I noticed the same problem om my pc: if you run Windows Disk Optimization manually it does an optimize (which only takes a few seconds), but if you let Norton start it, it does a full defrag (which could take a few hours). So it seems that Norton sends the wrong command to Windows.

Kudos2 Stats

I think I have found the problem, if anyone from the developers is interested, they should look this: 

The command for defragging in Windows 10 is

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> defrag c: /* 

where /* can be /A for analyze, /D for traditional defragmentation (default), /G for optimizing storage tiers, /K for slab consolidation, /L for retrimming volume and /O for performing the proper optimization for each media type. 

The problem is that the default (even if you don't use a /* parameter) is D - traditional defrag - not the expected /O that detects the media type and performs the correct action. 

Although when using Windows' own tool the correct command parameter "/O" is inserted, when Norton sends the command it misses the proper optimizations and starts the default traditional defragmentation. 

This is both Microsoft's and Symantec's fault, the first for not changing the default to a more appropriate and safe option, and the second for not actually checking basic functions of their software. 

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.