• Todas las Comunidades
    • Todas las Comunidades
    • Foros
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Avanzado

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Identity Safe won't stay on

Ok. Here I go again with Norton. Close to the last time I'm going to "screw" with it.

Yesterday, I did a factory restoral to my desktop. Downloaded Norton and ran all updates and scans.

This morning, 01/26, when I tried to open my vault (not a cloud vault), I noticed Identity Safe was off. I went to Settings, Identity Safe and clicked to turn it on. Closed that window and went back to open my vault. Identity safe still off. Repeated the steps 3 times. Nothing changes. Did a check to see if I had the most current version which I do.

By the way, at the top it shows I'm logged-in to Norton.

So, what the H___ is going on with Norton. Why am I always having problems with Identity Safe and my vault?

What do I have to do to get it to work like it is supposed to, such as keep ID Safe On?

If I have selected the wrong label, please feel free to move.

Labels: Auto-Protect

Respuestas

Accepted Solution
Kudos1 Stats

Re: Identity Safe won't stay on

Hi boongsong,

Was there a trial of any anti virus program installed after the restore?  If so, did you remove it (including running the removal tool for that product)  prior to the install of Norton?

Kudos0

I have the same problem on two Dell Desktops (XPS 8910 & XPS 8920) running Windows 10 Pro; both with Local Vaults. Both computers started intermittently experiencing this issue about 4-8 weeks ago. It doesn't always happen when we turn on our computers in the morning. When this issue occurs, the only way we can get Identity Safe to initialize properly and stay on is to reboot the computers. Once Identity Safe is on, it stays on the remainder of time the computers are powered on.

Kudos0

I'm not sure. Norton was the 1st program I installed. It's quite possible Windows or Microsoft had something in the background.

Anyway, once I got NIS to open, I went into Control panel and turned-off any firewalls listed. Now, it shows Norton in control of the firewalls.

Kudos0

BuckV115

Both computers started intermittently experiencing this issue about 4-8 weeks ago.

Did you happen to get the Fall Creators Update around that time? If so, it may have turned Fast Startup back on if you had disabled it before. In my case it even changed my hibernate setting from disabled to enabled. Check that fast startup is disabled and restart your system to see if that helps with the issue.   If you use Windows 10, there can be an issue with the Fast Start feature.. See more information here. 

@boongsong

This may apply to you as well as you did a restore to your Windows.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

peterweb; thanks for your follow-up! Just in case, I re-verified that Fast Startup is in fact turned off; that's the one thing I always check for after every major Windows update (even the monthly ones).

The problem is intermittent for me; Identity Safe turned on fine all week, but this morning when I turned on my PC it was off after the PC booted up. So, I restarted the PC and Identity Safe was on after the restart and should stay on for the remainder of the time that the PC is powered on. Again, thanks for your suggestions!

Kudos0

As long as a restart fixes things, it just sounds like there was some pending updates that affected your product.

Kudos0

peterweb; yep, it's just one of those annoying things and as long as it only happens once or twice a week I'll probably live with it for a while. At some point, I might perform a removal and reinstall of Norton Security Premium on one of the PC's to see if that fixes the issue. Thanks once again for your help!

Kudos1 Stats

If you are going to remove and reinstall Norton Security with a Local vault, read this thread to restore your Local vault.

https://community.norton.com/en/forums/retaining-your-local-vault

Jim

Kudos0

@PhoneMan

Perhaps a bit off topic on this thread, but I want to make sure you see what I posted in regards to the Local Vault: 

https://community.norton.com/en/comment/7735381#comment-7735381

Kudos1 Stats

The link I posted can be used for a clean install of Windows and Norton Security and retain a Local vault. The key is on an existing system to save a copy of the  IDDStor2.dat  file which is the Local vault. On my systems I use Macrium Reflex Free to image my systems on a regular basis and an image file can be mounted to pull individual files. I only use the Local vault on IE for an emergence if the Cloud vault goes down. I have a Cloud vault to use on all my other browsers. I suspect in time the Local vault will be gone.

Jim

Kudos1 Stats

PhoneMan; Thank you! In fact, I use that procedure anytime I restore one of our PC's or setup a new PC.

I know that it's inevitable that at some point we'll be forced to use a Cloud Vault! 

Kudos0

Ok. I'm back again with the same BS!!!

This morning all fine other than Identity always reverting to the Identity Safe page when I click on the Search box. Guess there's no fix for that.

My problem this morning is pretty much a repeat of what I've experienced before. 

Identity Safe was working ok this morning (01/28). I connected a portable hard drive to my USB slot. After the driver was installed I was prompted to do a restart which I did.

As soon as the computer booted-up, I tried to open my vault. Clicked on the Norton icon on my task bar, clicked on Security and the vault window opened. Bam!!! Identity Safe OFF. Went to settings and turned it on. Went back to open vault and still off. Signed-out and then signed back in. Still off. Signed-out 2nd time and signed-in again. Identity Safe still off. On top of that, everytime I click on the Identity Safe link so I can enter my pw, nothing happens.

Does anyone, anywhere within the Norton entity know why this happens continually? If I don't get a fix pronto, I will cancel my subscription, no lie.

Kudos0

As you seem to be the only one reporting this issue here, there would seem to be something particular to your system setup.

Check that your graphics drivers are up to date. 

Then maybe check your Windows installation. Click on Start and type CMD in the search box. Right click on cmd.exe and click on Run as Administrator. Type 'sfc /scannow' without the quotes. This will check your Windows installation and try to correct any errors it finds.

Kudos0

Thanks peterweb for your response.

I'm sorry if I'm the only one having this problem. It also happens on my laptop.

I know there is nothing wrong with my computer as I did a complete factory restoral using HP furnished discs. As proof, I did the scan and, as you can see in the atch, all is good.

I have no idea why this is happening to me but it has become more than a nuisance - almost harassment. I do not plan to put up with this much longer. I will, once again, do a RnR and reinstall hoping that will correct the problem. Rest assured, if it happens one more time Norton is history.

I apologize for the way I'm making this post but a person can take just so much crap before they reach their limit. I'm real close to that now.

Have a good day. 

Kudos0

I'm sorry if I'm the only one having this problem.

Nothing to apologize for. My comment just points out that with no other users reporting this, it is much more difficult for us to diagnose in a forum atmosphere. As you are also seeing it on a second computer it could indicate you have the same utility or some other software on both machines that could be causing this issue. 

Were you seeing this issue on the system before you did the Windows restore?

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.