• Todas las Comunidades
    • Todas las Comunidades
    • Foros
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Avanzado

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos1 Stats

Norton Toolbar no longer visible in Chrome

On both of my W7 machines, the Norton Toolbar is no longer visible but if logged in from another browser, it will still fill logins.

It is the same on both of my machines.

Last time I had this problem all I needed to do was click the icon on the top right hand corner and the toolbar would show, but that doesn't work this time.

Chrome Version 32.0.1700.72 m

Thanks!

A little bit of knowledge is... well a little bit of knowledge.

Respuestas

Kudos1 Stats

Re: Norton Toolbar no longer visible in Chrome

Chrome Version 32.0.1700.72 m - I still have v31.0.1650.63 m, have just checked and it's confirmed as updated.
Did the issue start with the new version?
Windows 7 HP SP1 32-bit | Chrome 65.0.3325.146 | NS 22.12.1.15
Kudos0

Hi Rainbow_2,

As you may know, I normally prefer Firefox but I thought I'd kick-start Chrome and take it for a spin around the block, so I don't know when it updated, but I have only noticed this issue since today.

I do not use beta browsers, but I think an update was released ahead of schedule not long ago.

Cheers!

Kudos0

I just found this  -  http://googlechromereleases.blogspot.com.au/

I could of been put on the Beta Channel.  

Edit : And this  -  http://googlechromereleases.blogspot.com.au/2014/01/beta-channel-update.html

Kudos0

Krusty13 wrote:

I just found this  -  http://googlechromereleases.blogspot.com.au/

I could of been put on the Beta Channel.  

Edit : And this  -  http://googlechromereleases.blogspot.com.au/2014/01/beta-channel-update.html

I was about posting this link

http://googlechromereleases.blogspot.it/, but you have been faster than me! 

Yes, It seems you received the beta version... you could perhaps try uninstalling it and reinstalling the stable version?

Kudos1 Stats

Yeah, I guess I could, but I could be bumped back to v32 again anyway.  

The odd thing is, if I was on the beta version it should say beta.

I will wait and see for the time being.

Thanks for the heads-up that you were still on v31.

Dave

Kudos0

Hi, Krusty and Rainbow ! I was running the previous version of Chrome, and the Toolbar worked perfectly.

I uninstalled it, as Google kept adding extensions without my say so.

Now I understand Google will only allow extensions from the Google store, which is why I'm assuming the incompatiblity between the two.

Windows 10 Home X 64
Kudos0

I just checked my Security History on my other system and Bingo!

V32 was installed silently about three hours ago.

Kudos1 Stats

I really don't understand this way of installing beta versions without the user's consent! 

Kudos1 Stats

The more I read the happier I am that I do not even have Chrome installed on my system let alone use it!

Just too many problems and complaints to suit me - not to mention the extreme stress level reflected on these forums by Chrome users.

Kudos2 Stats

Kudos1 Stats

yank wrote:

The more I read the happier I am that I do not even have Chrome installed on my system let alone use it!

Just too many problems and complaints to suit me - not to mention the extreme stress level reflected on these forums by Chrome users.

The same thing can be said about the Firefox lynch mob that we see here regularly as well.

The rapid release schedules for both of these browsers keep them in a perpetual beta state. That makes users of these browsers beta testers by default, even though they may not be aware of it. Consequently, these users need to accept all of the associated risks that come with using beta software.

Kudos0

@elsewhere,

Can't the same or similar be said of Windows operating systems?  Microsoft release patches at least every month where Mozilla normally only release updates to Firefox every 6 weeks.

Kudos0

What browser do you use Yank?

Kudos0

I use what everyone says is insecure and no good - Internet Explorer 10 at the moment.  I tried IE 11 and it lasted about 3 hours before I went back to IE 10.   I do have FF 26 installedf and I use it from time to time while troubleshooting problems on the forum that users say happens in FF.

Kudos0

Hi

I have the same exact issue.  Chrome updated to version 32 automatically and I have never been on any beta channels.  This is simply bizarre!!!!!!

When should we expect a fix?

Thank you

Kudos0

Another example of Google's intrusiveness, and why I deleted Chrome from my system.

If you wish to try a Chrome based browser without Chrome's security concerns, SR IRON is worth a try.

http://www.srware.net/en/software_srware_iron.php

Windows 10 Home X 64
Kudos0

Krusty13 wrote:

@elsewhere,

Can't the same or similar be said of Windows operating systems?  Microsoft release patches at least every month where Mozilla normally only release updates to Firefox every 6 weeks.

No. The Windows patches aren't significant enough to change the major version number of Windows ie. Windows 7 remains Windows 7 after the monthly patches. With the browsers, the updates are significant enough to change the major version number of the browser, hence the greater risk of unexpectedly breaking things in the process.

Kudos0

After waiting a while for support tonight, I found out that the toolbar is not compatible with the current Chrome release and there is NO ETA for when Norton will have a compatible release.

Kudos0

askmartin, it seems that Google is releasing beta versions to users, and Norton does not support beta versions.

Hence the delay in issuing a patch for stable versions.

Windows 10 Home X 64
Kudos0

Kudos1 Stats

I've been having both bugs in the last few days, Identity Safe crashing and Toolbar missing, in my 2 computers, one of them runs Windows Vista, and the other runs Windows 7. Like some of you, used Norton Insight, and effectively Chrome v.32 was installed less than a week ago, no idea if this might be the reason

I've already posted about this bug in Chrome forums, there are several threads about the whole thing as well... and for the record, when this is solved I'll keep a printed list of my passwords, given it's no longer safe nor useful letting Identity Safe to store them for me... it's a real pain having to access websites for job and being required a password you don't remember nor even know, forcing me to require assistance and changing my passwords so I can keep working.

Kudos0

In trying to get the norton toolbar back, I also lost google chrome.Please help me get back google chrome and the norton toolbar.

Kudos1 Stats

I too have this very problem. IE works just fine with the toolbar. I am not a fan of IE as I find it has too many issues which is why I moved to Chrome, but I have a business to run and 99% of it is online. Don't feel safe as long as the vault and toolbar is not loading in Chrome. I've used Norton for years and believe it to be the best product on the market but I think Google needs to share with developers and Norton needs to hussle to find a fix. In the meantime, I'll be on IE :-/
Kudos1 Stats

This was the first real adverse experience I've had with Chrome. It's my preferred browser I've been using solid for three years. Other rare times, (at least for me), concerning the toolbar missing, I was always able to get it back with no problem.

Normally, I check for Chrome updates immediately after turning on the computer .. Chrome Menu Icon > About Google Chrome. This way I don't get hit with a background update. Nine times out of ten over the years, this is how I've been updated .. after, relaunch the browser > restart the computer .. done.

I was offline for a couple of days until today, when after turning the computer on, I got a silent update while in the kitchen. When opening Chrome .. NO TOOLBAR First thing I checked was .. About Google Chrome, and seen I was updated from 31.0.1650.63 to 32.0.1700.72.

I did all of the usual troubleshooting methods for getting the toolbar back, which all failed. Before an uninstall/reinstall of Chrome, I thought I better check here first.

I read and subscribed to Tony's post about the incompatibility with Chrome 32. Saved me from the Chrome uninstall, which in this case, wouldn't have made any difference.

Will just keep tabs on the threads and Tony's post, until a patch comes down. Using IE for me is a nightmare .. only time I ever open it is for Windows Updates.

Ed

Kudos0

Same here, Chrome silent update to v. 32, Norton Toolbar disappeared.  Waiting for a fix from Norton or Google.  Back to MSEI?Sigh...

Kudos3 Stats

Hi all,

I've had the odd experience where  2 of our PCs are still running the old version of Chrome - 31.0.1650.63 - and are said to be up to date when checking, but the 64-bit laptop has been updated, without any prior indication before doing so, to 32.0.1700.72, with no Norton Toolbar of course! If you don't like these silent updates, particularly when they seem to be to beta versions, you may be interested to see the following tutorial from Bleeping Computer:

How to disable silent and automatic updates in Chrome for Windows

Madeline

2 x Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 - 64bit, 1 x Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 - 32bit, NIS v22.7.0.76
Kudos1 Stats

I actually read all 7 pages of this thread, hoping for some way to disable Chrome auto updates.  You would think that Google/Chrome staff would've shared a link to this often-requested info here on these pages long ago.  Thanks to Madeline for posting!

Staff please answer: What's the latest on the Norton Identity Safe toolbar bug?  I sure hope it's not one of those "Google points a finger at Norton" while "Norton points a finger at Google" kind of things, while we all wait forever....???

Kudos0

Hi rogmail, you may have missed this info which was posted at least twice in this thread:

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Toolbar-Norton-Identity/Norton-Toolbar-Google-Chrome-32-Compatibility-issue/td-p/1075531
Kudos2 Stats

My question is why didn't an email go out to your user base telling them of this issue on the 8th when you discovered the source of the problem?  It would have saved quite a bit of frustration.  I almost went through the whole process of uninstalling Norton and then reinstalling cause nothing else I tried worked.  Thank goodness Google eventually pointed me to this thread or I would have really been upset to see that all that work resulted in no change.

Kudos0

Hi, scootrose. I think the problem has been mostly of Google's making, given the way they now treat extensions....

Norton can only do so much.

Windows 10 Home X 64
Kudos0

Blame (Google or Norton) is irrelevant.  I want to know WHEN Chrome 32 will no longer be classed as beta - at which time Norton will, we hope, release a fix for the toolbar.  I'm perhaps overly security conscious - I have unique and difficult passwords for a hundred or more logins, and am very reliant on a password keeper, in this case the very capable Norton Identity Safe, accessible in my browser of CHOICE.  For now, I choose MSIE.  This is exactly the kind of extension incompatibility thing that caused me to quit Firefox a few years ago - wake up, Chrome staff!!!!

Kudos4 Stats

@ rogrmail: I'm having the same problems. And use lots of passwords as well. It's annoying not being able to lod in to identity safe from the browser. What I am doing is opening Norton, click on Identity, click log in to Identity Safe. The toolbar still isn't available in Chrome but the login and passwords still fill in automatically when I go to sites that require that information. I guess this will have to do until the toolbar becomes available. 

Kudos0

I have been having same probs, but in both chrome and ie 11 browsers.  I deleted all chrome/google ware and still cannot get norton toolbar/vault in IE11.  Tried deleting IE11 to go back to 10 but can't get it off my computer.  I have discovered that I can get the Norton toolbar/vault to come up if I go to Norton 360 site, click on Feedback tab and it automatically comes up.  When I go directly to IE it does not.  It's an extra step and I have to laugh at myself for being impatient, but I love the convenience of having Norton toolbar and vault.  Fallen victim to the instant gratification demon.

Kudos0

I thought I'd drop my two cents worth, since today I started experiencing this problem...

I have a desktop PC running with an older version of Windows, namely Windows XP SP3 which has IE v8, and a laptop running with Windows Vista SP2 with IE v9...  Both have Google Chrome installed...

Here is where it gets interesting:  Right now ONLY the Google Chrome installed in the PC does NOT display the Norton Toolbar.  The version shown by the Google Chrome installed in my PC is 32.0.1700.72 m

When I checked the Google Chrome version in my laptop, it shows 31.0.1650.63 m as the 'latest' version (I am not kidding!  Somehow the Google Chrome in my laptop shows that is 'up to date' in this version).

In both my PC and my laptop the Norton Toolbar is displayed in BOTH IE browsers.

Here's hoping this helps, and that it helps me as well.

Kudos1 Stats

Bgriego wrote:

.... What I am doing is opening Norton, click on Identity, click log in to Identity Safe. The toolbar still isn't available in Chrome but the login and passwords still fill in automatically when I go to sites that require that information .....

I've been doing the same .. opening NIS on the desktop. Settings - Web - Identity Safe - Configure. Enter the password just like I would if Chrome was open. I bookmarked 10 or so sites that are used most often via ID Safe. The username/password fields fill in just as if the toolbar was there.

It's temporary for now, but works. I don't have to switch to another browser like at first. It's a couple of extra steps, but will suffice until the fix comes down.

Ed

Kudos0

Hi, johannapnc59. You can uninstall IE 11 via the Installed Updates section, in Windows Updates.

IE 10 can be downloaded from here. Choose your language and download the 32 bit version.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/internet-explorer/ie-10-worldwide-languages

Windows 10 Home X 64
Kudos0

I miss my Windows XP!!!  I loved that!

Kudos0

thanks F4E, but that is where I went to try to uninstall/reinstall.... It probably works for most peoples, but I am technically blonde at the roots kind of person and what works for most people laughs at me....

Kudos0

p.s.  is F4E a nod to Toyota?  I am probably completely wrong, but I am thinking that is a limited produced engine in the 80's.

Kudos0

Nope. Short for Fender for ever !......

If IE 11 came down as a Windows Update, it should be in the list of installed updates, and you should be able to uninstall it.

Windows 10 Home X 64
Kudos0

in my life, 'should be' and 'is'  are two very different things.   go Fender!

Kudos0

I'm not sure on this but you could download IE 10, and try an overinstall. I can't remember if that works or not.

Someone else may be able to shed some light on that approach, if you can't find IE 11 in Installed Updates.

Windows 10 Home X 64
Kudos0

John,

This works with Windows 7.  I don't think you can uninstall IE 11 from W8.1

Go to Windows Control Panel > Uninstall a program and look on the top left for View installed updates.  Click that and wait for that window to load.  You should be able to scroll to find Internet explorer 11.  Click that and then click Uninstall at the top.  You may need to reboot.

Kudos0

thanks Krusty13, I tried that twice (I have W7).... like I said before, what works for 'normal' people will not work for me..... no offense to 'normal' people....

Kudos0

johannapnc59 wrote:

thanks Krusty13, I tried that twice (I have W7).... like I said before, what works for 'normal' people will not work for me..... no offense to 'normal' people....

What does not work?  You can't find it listed or what?

Try to use the search box at the top righthand corner of the page that lists the Installed Updates - Type in Internet Explorer and it should list the Update and you can then do the uninstall from that point.

Kudos0

How can you tell this is a Beta version, and what is Google saying about this?

Kudos1 Stats

bjkaufman wrote:

From http://googlechromereleases.blogspot.it/2014/01/beta-channel-update.html

TUESDAY, JANUARY 7, 2014

Beta Channel Update
The Beta Channel has been updated to 32.0.1700.72 for Windows, Mac, Linux and Chrome Frame.

This release fixes a number of crashes and other bugs. A full list of changes is available in the SVN log. Interested in switching release channels? Find out how. If you find a new issue, please let us know by filing a bug.

Karen Grunberg
Google Chrome

Posted at 7:05 AM Labels: Beta updates 

48 comments:
Vin said...
The current version does not have aura suffixed to it like the earlier ones, ex- 32.0.1700.41 m Aura
Does this have any significance?
8:11 AM, January 07, 2014

Karen said...
nope, no significance :)
11:40 AM, January 07, 2014

[…]

UNQUOTE

Kudos0

I tried what you described, uninstalling the update. both times i tried it acted like it was removing it but then gave me an error msg that it cannot be uninstalled.  I tried to install IE10 over it, but that was a no go too. I'm still playing with it, eventually something will work, Fortunately I have some work due Monday that is not computer dependent so I don't have it on my mind....  and there's so much room up there.... thanks for your insights, I've been following this convo from the beginning.

Kudos0

Very curious if something got corrupted during the uninstall.  I have seen where reinstalling IE11 and then uninstalling it again will result in a successful uninstall.  Yes, I know it sounds crazy - but works sometimes.

Kudos0

Rainbow_2 wrote:

bjkaufman wrote:

From http://googlechromereleases.blogspot.it/2014/01/beta-channel-update.html

TUESDAY, JANUARY 7, 2014

Beta Channel Update
The Beta Channel has been updated to 32.0.1700.72 for Windows, Mac, Linux and Chrome Frame.

This release fixes a number of crashes and other bugs. A full list of changes is available in the SVN log. Interested in switching release channels? Find out how. If you find a new issue, please let us know by filing a bug.

Karen Grunberg
Google Chrome

Posted at 7:05 AM Labels: Beta updates 

48 comments:
Vin said...
The current version does not have aura suffixed to it like the earlier ones, ex- 32.0.1700.41 m Aura
Does this have any significance?
8:11 AM, January 07, 2014

Karen said...
nope, no significance :)
11:40 AM, January 07, 2014

[…]

UNQUOTE

Editing my above post

My link above is substantially the same as that given by Krusty13 in their post/Message #4 above.

Sorry I didn't mention this in my previous post, Krusty13!

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.