• Toute la Communauté
    • Toute la Communauté
    • Forums
    • Idées
    • Blogs
Avancé

Pas ce que vous cherchiez ? Demandez aux experts !

Ce sujet a besoin d'une solution.
Remerciements0

Read an exported Identity-Safe backup file, .DAT

LIKE a solution, not really "need" one.

How do you humanly read an exported Identity-Safe backup file?  Notepad will not display intelligible information. 

A separate question is, can ID-Safe backup file be successfully IMPORTED to LastPass?

Réponses

Remerciements0

Re: Read an exported Identity-Safe backup file, .DAT

I'm not a 'guru' here but I will share my experience on this issue. I don't think you 'can' read a .dat file directly. I have over 275 passwords in my vault and when I needed to make that consistent among my 5 house computers and my laptop (my laptop had 106 p/w's and my desktops, including my Win 10 'mule' had 274). I was pretty casual about my vaults until the latest Firefox/tool bar issue. I exported as .csv. From there, open the file in Excel (or your favorite spreadsheet) as a comma or tab-delimited file. Excel will throw up a dialog box asking how you want to display the data. Once that's selected and the file saved, you can look at the data as a spreadsheet.

It's been a while since I've done this (and I've slept since then!) but that worked for me.

Regards

Remerciements0

As ddunk1946, stated, you can't read the Exported .dat file because is encrypted - pretty good security if yu can't even read your own passwords.

Export in .csv format is the way to go if you desire to read it, Import it into another password manager, or even print it out (although not exactly secure anymore).

Remerciements0

Hello ddrunk1946

You don't have to be a "Guru" to answer someone's questions or issue. Answers are welcome from any knowledgeable person.

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.17.3.50 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Remerciements0

Thanks. I know that, I was giving myself an 'out' in case I'd forgotten a step. (!) :-) I spent a lot of years in the computer industry, back when you had to explain what a PC was and then try to sell them. IBM, then Apple. That doesn't make me particularly knowledgeable these days. I've gotten lazy these days: WordPress over HTML, etc. haha

Meanwhile, I'm cruising along just fine with Chrome and my vault and its 274 passwords. Although I haven't programmed in recent memory, I can understand how large a project the re-engineered toolbar must be.and am more concerned with keeping my business healthy than whining to Norton about its project time lines.

Regards,
DD

Remerciements0

The tab in Settings reads Import/Export and the instructions indicate one can import a previously exported file to Norton. Now I haven't tried this because I'm concerned it would create duplicate entries in my Vault. Can someone from Norton give more details on how the import function works? One option might be to save your vault, then delete all the entries in your vault and then import the file that was previously saved. It would be nice if the import function allowed you to see the entries in the .DAT file and select which ones you wanted to import.

Remerciements0

Hello

.DAT form files are encrypted. You can't just read them. You have to use the CSV file format on a notepad in able to read them.

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.17.3.50 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Remerciements0

Hi laraiajw,

Info on Importing is available in the following link:

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/norton-security-with-backup/22.5.5.15/solutions/v5466277_ns_retail_en_us

Exporting info is also available in a separate link at the bottom of the above link.

What you desire to do - Import only select entries is not possible - it is an all or nothing deal.

Some more info in regards to Importing - you have two options:

Merge imported data with existing data - To merge the imported vault with the existing vault.
If Identity Safe finds any duplicate entries, it lets you decide whether you want to keep the existing entry, or replace it with the imported entry.

Replace existing data with imported data - To replace the existing vault with the imported vault.

I have used both methods and have not lost any of my log-ins as a result of the Import.  what you suggested - deleting the existing vault and then Importing would be the same thing as the replace option above.

Hope that answers your questions.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.