• Toute la Communauté
    • Toute la Communauté
    • Forums
    • Idées
    • Blogs
Avancé

Pas ce que vous cherchiez ? Demandez aux experts !

Remerciements0

"Is there any way to resume an interupted default backup?"

"Is there any way to resume an interupted default backup?"

I have win10 on an HP2000 notebook/Norton360, and slow ATT DSL. I was 54%, and 20 hours(!!!) into the initial backup when I got an error code that another backup was running, and Norton quit. Only 289 files made it thru to the Icloud backup. Do I have to delete these, and start over, or is there a way to pick up where I left off?

Thématiques: Backup

Réponses

Remerciements0

Re: "Is there any way to resume an interupted default backup?"

HI cyberfish2,

"...made it thru to the Icloud backup"  I assume you mean the Norton Secure Online Backup?

Generally, the Norton back up will resume from where it left off, so try manually running the backup at your earliest convenience and let us know how you do.

"Anyone who isn't confused really doesn't understand the situation."   Edward R. Murrow
Remerciements0

Trying to resume the Norton Secure Online Backup produces the same error code "Another backup program is running, Please try again later". That was several days ago. Win10 backup is set to "never", now. It may have tried to run while I was running the looong  Norton backup, and caused the error code. It is exactly for this reason I believe I have to delete the initial try, and start over. Unless you have some magic to erase the error code.

Alternatively, why should I devote probably 40 to 50 hours backing up to Icloud, when I can likely save 10gb to a thumb drive a lot quicker, and not risk having it hacked later on??

Remerciements0

You could try this.

Open the main UI and go to Backup > Backup Sets > 'When' tab > Uncheck Automatic > Check Manual > Click Save Settings > Close

When back in the main Norton user interface click Settings at the top.

Under Quick Controls uncheck the Backup feature to disable it.

• Once that is done, restart your computer.
  • Wait maybe an hour or so then enable the Backup feature by checking the Backup box.
  • Be sure no other backup services are running and then try to manually 'Run Backup Now'.
  • If that runs successfully, you can then enable (check) the Automatic Backup feature.

"Alternatively, why should I devote probably 40 to 50 hours backing up to Icloud, when I can likely save 10gb to a thumb drive a lot quicker ..." 

That of course is a personal decision, but the generally held opinion is that unless you have an on-site backup and an off-site backup, you do not have a complete backup strategy.  I think you mentioned that you are aware that the initial backup may take quite some time, but subsequent backups will be much quicker.

"... and not risk having it hacked later on??"

The Norton Online Backup utility encrypts your files using 256-bit AES encryption before being sent to the cloud where it stays encrypted.  Although anything is possible, having your data encrypted and requiring a username and password to access your online storage, makes it highly unlikely that your files would be hacked.

Let us know how you do.

"Anyone who isn't confused really doesn't understand the situation."   Edward R. Murrow
Accepted Solution
Remerciements0

Apparently enough time has passed to allow the error code to vanish. Icloud backup did resume, at just 10.4%, yesterday morning early, and was finished by the time I returned home late evening, without me tinkering additionally with any of the settings.. That I am stuck with point 6mb upload speed is why it took so long.

Thanks for all your suggestions and help.

Remerciements0

I am very happy to hear that your issue was resolved.  Thanks for keeping us updated on this.

Best Wishes.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.