• Toute la Communauté
    • Toute la Communauté
    • Forums
    • Idées
    • Blogs
Avancé

Pas ce que vous cherchiez ? Demandez aux experts !

Remerciements0

Backup process and files space increasing - duplicate files or last only

My backup directory size is increasing and Norton backup is maxing out my hard drive.

I only need to backup and recover my critical files (outlook PST's, and a few daily use files).  The backup file size is continuing to increase.

Does Norton only back up and keep the most recent file, or does it keep multiple versions?

Are there settings/parameters to limit the file backups? or which files or the number of file versions to keep?

Thématiques: Backup

Réponses

Remerciements0

Re: Backup process and files space increasing - duplicate files or last only

Norton will make a new backup of a file that gets updated, such as your PST files. It does not overwrite the old file, in case a newer version has gotten corrupted. There are no settings to change this default behaviour.

What you can do is try to clear out some older files from the backup. Using a Windows admin account, open Windows Explorer. Click on This PC in the left pane, and then double click on Norton Backup Drive in the right pane. Then double click on the backup set and you will get a list of files in the backup. Be patient, it can take some time to populate the list. From there, you can find any older files and folder that you want to remove, and right click on them and choose Delete. That will free up space on your backup drive.

Where are you backing up your files? It is not recommended to use your C: drive, because of what you are seeing with the drive filling up.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Remerciements0

I backup my files on my D: recovery drive, but may move them to an external in case the physical hard drive fails.

Either way, I want to ensure I understand. 
The icon I see under "ThisPC\C:\NortonBackupDrive" is a pointer/mirror of the real backup set, which in my case is stored on a different drive D: (my recovery drive)?

I ran explorer under administrator and deleted the "ThisPC\C:\NortonBackupDrive" reference (by the way, the files I thought were being backed up are not even there so I will troubleshoot that separately).....
                 BUT I still see the N360_BACKUP file structure on my D: drive, where I physically store them.

Is this C: drive reference a pointer or the actual set?

Accepted Solution
Remerciements0

Looking at the Norton Backup Drive in Windows Explorer is, as you say, a pointer to the actual location where the files are stored.

If the D: recovery drive is the default recovery drive created by a Windows installation, or by a manufacturer's recovery partition, you should not be using that for anything. It would be a rather small partition and would fill up quickly.

You definitely need to at least use a different physical drive in case the main drive fails. Ideally you should back up to an external drive and disconnect it when not doing the backup or a restore. 

Remerciements0

Thank you very much!

Remerciements0

You are welcome.

Glad I could help.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.