• Toute la Communauté
    • Toute la Communauté
    • Forums
    • Idées
    • Blogs
Avancé

Pas ce que vous cherchiez ? Demandez aux experts !

Remerciements0

Firefox (Waterfox) 64 Bit Support - Norton 360

Refer to an older post at http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-360/Norton-Toolbar-for-64-bit-browsers/m-p/608990#M61716 

My question....

When will Symantec provide 64 bit support for Firefox/IE so customers can take advantage of the toolbar and password management?

Réponses

Remerciements1 Stats

Re: Firefox (Waterfox) 64 Bit Support - Norton 360

Hello jpmtam,

As with any major software developer, if there is a major demand for a 64-bit version then it will become a priority, however it seems that because there are not a lot of 64-bit addons, people tend to stick to 32-bit browsers. So we raise the question, if everyone would just port to 64-bit then we would all be able to use 64-bit browsers.

I'm not on the development team so I don't know what's in store for a 64-bit Norton toolbar, but will bet that within the next couple of years, 64-bit browsers will become standard, especially with Windows 8, and we will see a lot of new 64-bit addons. In fact, I believe the default IE browser in Windows 8 is 64-bit.

-James

Remerciements2 Stats

James, thanks for the response.  Perhaps a developer might see this post and comment.

I agree with your assessment.  Windows 8 will likely change the outcome of browser support significantly.  It's unfortunate that it's taking this long for 64 bit adoption across the spectrum.  There are clear benefits to running a 64 bit browser. 

The password management capabilities within Identity Safe are quite convenient and now with the push by Symantec for a free version of the tool for those that don't have a paying subscription to 360 et al. products, I'm guessing this question will continue to be asked.

Remerciements2 Stats

Symantec senior management need to recognise and appreciate the marketing potential of providing comprehensive 64-bit support. 

By providing a native 64-bit product supporting 64-bit browsers and Microsoft Office 64-bit, and advertising it widely, I believe Norton would be seen as "cool" and "ahead of the game".  This could be used to gain a significant marketing advantage.

Remerciements0

Same problem - can't use Norton with waterfox

Remerciements1 Stats

Hi jpmtam and yoda,

I totally agree we do need 64 bit toolbars right now or in the near future. I use the 64 bit version of IE 9 each day for the added security (32 bit malicious shell code can’t run in a 64 bit browser), there are less ActiveX controls running and installed (so fewer security vulnerabilities to patch) and the 64 bit process has more effective/randomized ASLR due to the increased virtual memory address space in which to place all of the DLLs needed to run IE (explained in more detail in the 2 links porivded below).

Jame_Carr is right, IE 10 64 bit will be the default browser for the Metro version of IE running on a 64 bit version of Windows 8.

See the following blog post for more information about this from Microsoft:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ie/archive/2012/03/12/enhanced-memory-protections-in-ie10.aspx

Specifically: “By default, the Metro style browser runs in 64bit mode on 64bit computers, providing a much larger address space and thus more random memory layout”

More information on Microsoft’s approach to 64 bit browsers can be found at:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ieinternals/archive/2009/05/29/q-a-64-bit-internet-explorer.aspx

I realize that this is only one browser of many to be 64 bit but it shows that the tide is turning towards 64 bit and that can only be a good thing. I have used 64 bit Windows since 2008 and it is great. I am never going back to 32 bit.

I would also be favour of an Anti-Spam toolbar for Outlook 2010 64 bit and Outlook 2013 64 bit (when it is released).

Thanks for creating a thread on this. It’s great to hear that other people also want to move to 64 bit.

JimboC

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.