• Toute la Communauté
    • Toute la Communauté
    • Forums
    • Idées
    • Blogs
Avancé

Pas ce que vous cherchiez ? Demandez aux experts !

Remerciements0

Issues from Upgrade to Windows 7

Hi,  I hope someone can help me with an issue that likely comes up a lot. 

I finally decided to upgrade to Windows 7 (64 bit)  from Windows XP (32 bit).  I knew this path would be frought with danger, so I bought an external 2TB hard drive.  I did a complete system backup.  I verified that all my pictures were on the backup drive.  I installed Windows 7 by booting off the DVD, I had to do a clean install due to switching from 32bit to 64bit.  I gave the computer the same name, but it is in all caps now, it wasn't before.  After Windows was installed, I went to copy the pictures off the external backup drive, no pictures.  All the other files are there, but no pictures.  I have no idea what happened.

Ok, no problem,  I also previously backed up my Documents and Settings folder using Norton Online Backup.  I downloaded the software and installed it on the new operating system.  I signed in with my email address and password, but it had automatically added a new computer with the new name and it says the old computer is not online.  It says I can download the files from the old backup one at a time.  We're talking about thousands of pictures.

I NEED to be able to restore the entire Documents and Settings folder from the old backup.  Is it a simple matter of changing the computer name to match the old one exactly?  Will reinstalling the software without deleting the old stuff help?  I am getting desperate about losing access to several years worth of photos.  So far 2 separate backup systems have failed me.

Any help would be very appreciated.

Réponses

Remerciements0

Re: Issues from Upgrade to Windows 7

Hello elwood

Directions on how to restore to a new computer are readily available in the Norton Online Backup help file. It's found on the top of every product page. Also take note you purged the old data set which pretty much removes your ability to even restore the old data. They will share the same name since you named the new machine precisely the same. You can change the name in the settings if you'd like. I've had engineering restore the purged set.

You can find the directions you specifically need below:

Restoring files to another computer

You can restore your files to a desktop folder on any of the computers on which you installed Norton Online Backup. For example, assume that you have an office computer and a home computer, and you backed up the data of your home computer. By using Norton Online Backup, you can restore the home computer data to your office computer. Therefore, Norton Online Backup gives you greater flexibility to move around without carrying data and access data when in need.

To restore files to another computer

1. Log on to Norton Online Backup.

The home page lists all the computers that are available on your Norton Online Backup.

2. On the home page, click File Actions that corresponds to the picture icon of a computer, and then select Restore Files.

The Restore Files from computer page appears.
  3. Click Show Options.
  4. From the To drop-down list, select the computer to which you want to restore files.
  5. Under Files Options, select Place Files in the "Restored Files" folder on your desktop.
  6. Select a backup set from the Backed Up On drop-down list.
  7. Under FOLDERS, navigate to the folder that contains the files that you want to restore.

The backup folder structure represents the same folder structure as in your computer.
  8. Do one of the following:
  • To restore specific files, under FILES, check the files that you want to restore.
  • To restore all files, click SELECT ALL.

Click RESTORE NOW.

Once the restore starts - DO NOT STOP IT. Please read the sticky about how restore works on the top of the forum.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.